Wyvern
Last Active
Roles
Rank
Mapmaker
Badges

Latest Images

• Panzer sample thread

Probably just me, but the latest image looks like a bunch of lost Daleks trying to find their way home from a country walk 😉

LillhansLoopysue[Deleted User]roflo1DaltonSpenceJimP
  • Community Atlas: Embra - Villages

Yeah, I did think about that some time ago, but there's also the problem that the text's position shifts at different resolutions, such as when you zoom in or out. I've tended to work texts at just the full-map resolution for some time now because of this, so that I know exactly where the lettering's going to be. Thus if I can't read the text clearly at that level (and I usually do an A4 test-print to double-check), something has to be tweaked. In this case, that was the size of the glow.

Thanks for the compliment!

As for the positional dot, there isn't any real point to doing this, because the village's relative position is only of potential importance when approaching the city from outside (when the direction would be obvious anyway), or when moving away from it. In one sense each Village actually IS the entire city, but at a level only visible on the Mortal plane (so it only seems to be a little settlement). In addition, GMs can opt just to pick a Village, or decide one randomly, for the players to encounter when trying to reach the Faerie version of Embra, rather than using their approach-direction, so again that would invalidate such a marker.

JimP
  • my Crestar, Northern Hemisphere, several continents, Zaggah nation

It depends how you see the mountain range Jim, I think. Not all mountain ranges are crowded with mountains in reality, after all. Some of the "empty" spots could be hidden valleys, or even plains, with impassible mountains all-round, like the classic Shangri-La.

If the Ash Mountains are more than a name (so something like volcanic ash), maybe the valleys there could be grey with ash too, where nothing will grow, say, if you want a little more variety. Or maybe a scatter of a few trees here and there (really as much for decoration as indicating any genuine small woods, perhaps).

JimP
  • Panzer sample thread

Well, as the trees are symbols, they can be easily resized and stacked as I suggested, just as they are now. I've worked this in some of the dungeon/small overland map styles, though of course it works better in some styles than others.

Lillhans
  • Community Atlas: Embra - Villages

Completing the circuit is Embra - Summerset in the northwest, with its small village of single-storey properties, the River Clack with a bridge (albeit the bridge seems detached from the village rather), both the main Clack Valley tributaries, plus a curiously unlabelled third tributary stream, which seems more significant than the named Silverburn (a deliberate choice!). However, dominating the map's centre are two substantial lakes and a marsh:

Next-up will be the first of Embra city's contents, the Enclosed Places.

LautiMonsen[Deleted User]RalfRicko HascheLoopysue