Wyvern
Last Active
Roles
Rank
Mapmaker
Badges

Latest Images

• Banners

Sue's Banners & Seals have been released into the wild now - all looking great, as expected!

Very well done Sue, and Ralf of course, for setting it all up - complete with varicolor seal designs.

Might have been nice to have had a graphic showing all the seal options in one place in the PDF Mapping Guide, as there are a lot there - standard letters, runes and blanks, aside from the pictorial designs shown earlier in this topic. I'd recommend copying Sue's graphic here and using it for reference if you're likely to be using the seals a lot to help out.

JimPLoopysuemike robel
  • Advice on Drawing Mines

There is also an automated arrow drawing tool option, but the arrows tend to look clumsy, because the line pushes through the arrow's tip, so Sue's suggestion, of simply drawing the arrow yourself, is the better option.

The floor fills look good on your revised map, I think, as indeed does the map overall. I've sometimes used the fills just to indicate areas of different rock type, or where there's something interesting happening on similar B&W maps, as the options to show such features otherwise are quite limited in some of these styles.

JulianDracos

I start to see what you mean about it not looking very mine-like. It really looks much more like a typical OSR dungeon, with a mix of built-wall rooms and natural-wall caves next to one another. OSR dungeons were always very simplified and stylised, compared with the more pictorial styles that have come into vogue since, which has both advantages and disadvantages, of course.

For a typical silver mine, I'd use only the cave drawing tool for the areas and passages. The ruler-straight passages and rooms look completely out of place, unless these have been added later, and for a very different purpose. The two places where a single, thin wall is all that separates a room from a cave (west side) or room and passage (lower central area) need adjusting to give more space between the two. Such thin walls in real underground settings would simply collapse, and to my eye at least, just look wrong here.

One option if built-wall rooms have been added to the mine might be to set them up within a cave - so a room or rooms inside a cave, maybe with little separation between the room and cave walls in places. Give the built walls a suitable degree of thickness even so.

Although you mentioned different levels, a silver mine might not have recognisable "levels" in the D&D dungeon sense at all, simply sloping passages or caves with dropping floors, so the way ahead ends up lower to a lot lower than where it started, but in a sort-of linear fashion - that is, with essentially just one way in and out, no matter how branching some of the inner areas may become. The one reason to map the layout using different mapped levels would be where the lower areas underlie too much of the ones above them to be properly seen, so the "level changes" should be quite organic, I think.

I do like this OSR drawing style, and I think it'll work quite well for what you wanted with a little more tweaking.

JulianDracosMarkOlsen

Without seeing any images, this is an appallingly difficult thing to try to provide advice upon, because it's impossible to guess why you're not happy with what you've managed so far.

Subterranean silver mines in ancient to medieval settings (presumably what you'd be aiming towards for a fantasy setting, and assuming you're not opting for some form of surface/open cast mining, which would be an alternative) essentially looked a lot like mostly narrow, often straight, low caves. The nature of these will be heavily dependent on what state the silver is in. If it's in the rarer metallic veins, the narrow, tunnel-like caves would be appropriate. If it's in the commoner form found on Earth, an ore combined with lead or copper, which needs further processing to extract the silver, larger areas of higher-grade ore might be opened up as a cavern. In addition, processing facilities would almost certainly be constructed on the surface nearby for the latter ore-type mines particularly (or perhaps underground where undead workers are being used, as here), which would make for a larger, more varied complex overall.

The mine needn't require vertical access, as many early silver deposits were extracted simply by starting to dig a tunnel into a hillside more or less horizontally. That would be an option for a more 3D map, however.

LoopysueJulianDracosMarkOlsen
  • 1876 Centennial Campaign Map

I don't know. What you've done has the advantage of real clarity, and to an extent, it reinforces the "area of the unknown" the events took place in, given the river valleys were the only places relatively rapid travel was possible.

Lillhansmike robelLoopysue