Wyvern
Last Active
Roles
Rank
Mapmaker
Badges

Latest Images

• Community Atlas competition entry: The Summer Palace of the Winter Queen

Palace 6 (that's over halfway!) is another black-and-white map, using the CA48 Black & White Dungeons style. This time, I chanced using a few of the symbols that come with the style, mostly because I liked the throne, and didn't want to just have that one symbol on its own. So we have actual fountains in the Crystal Garden for once, and a set banqueting table, with seats, for the Banqueting Hall (not the clearest in this low-res image, I appreciate). I also did a little more decoration for the floor of the huge central Ballroom, primarily because the forms were on the original snowflake image, and I thought the floral design especially worked well with the overall concept of the Summer Palace idea. Plus that outer large hexagonal line forms a neat border to the Ballroom itself. As last time, the first map is the B&W version, the second one where I've added some blue iciness, this time in the form of a simple blue coloured covering rectangle with a strong Transparency Effect on it. Again, if all goes to plan, this should be available via a toggle in the Atlas version.

Whereas Palace 5 used a simple drawn polygon for the floor outline, with the internal wall-blocks on that drawn and set up using walls and floor masks on Sheets above the floor one, here, the floor was done as a multipoly, after drawing in the internal walls first, and copying them to the floor sheet before carrying out the command. And treble-checking I wasn't going to need to do more with it later, given you can't adjust nodes on a multipoly later!

Despite which, if you check very hard in the FCW file, you will find one spot where I had to add a new floor patch because one of the walls had grown just a bit too spiky... Isn't it always the way?

MonsenJimP
  • About the bundles - any recommendation?

It's a tricky subject to advise upon without really knowing what you'd like to be mapping. For example, if science-fiction is important to you, then Cosmographer will be likely a high-priority add-on; if building new worlds, then Fractal Terrains might be a better choice.

Sue's advice, to take some time for a thorough check-through of all the information on the ProFantasy website before deciding, is very sound.

Buying everything in one go will save you money longer term, but you might end up feeling overwhelmed at suddenly having far too many choices, and little idea what to prioritise from them all. Plus you'll also need to factor-in having sufficient time available to usefully explore whatever items you do eventually purchase beyond the core CC3+ program.

Loopysueprimo
  • [WIP] Post Station

The Cartographer's Annual 94, Vandel's Dwarven Dungeons has an anvil and a furnace in it, and you might find some suitable objects for use as tools in various places - try the weapons catalogues, for instance. The Munson's Mines pack from CA125 has some whole and broken mining tools, as well, for instance. Might take some finding all there could be of interest, and you might run into difficulties getting things to match if they're drawn in different styles, of course. And it depends whether you have all these add-ons, of course!

LoopysueFersusJimP

For the next Palace in the sequence, Number Five, I decided to switch to one of the black-and-white styles, and picked the Mike Schley Inks one to try out for the first time. I'd hoped it might be possible to use some of the actual symbols that come with the style this time, instead of just drawing almost everything, but unfortunately, there seemed to be too much surface texture on the ones I preferred, so that when viewing the whole map, they looked like indeterminate black blobs, which didn't seem ideal. The texture might have worked for the ice furniture the Palace contains in a smaller map, I suspect; all part of the learning curve, of course!

I also took the opportunity to try out some ideas for colouring the whole map, using Effects like the RGB Matrix Process. That too proved unhelpful, as colouring not just the map, but all of the surrounding CC3+ drawing window as well, which isn't something I've come across before. Then again, I've not used anything other than the "Gray" and "Sepia" settings on an entire map like this previously, so again, live & learn.

What I did decide upon was to provide an option to view the map with a coloured screen over it, so I simply drew a white rectangle across the whole map and its frame, applied a strong Transparency Effect to its Cover Sheet, and a simple RGB Matrix Process Effect too, favouring an icy pale blue. Hopefully, this can be applied using one of Monsen's special toggles in the final Atlas version.

It is slightly terrifying to open the CC3+ map now with the Cover Sheet showing, but with the Effects turned off, because all you see is a white screen! First time I did that, there was a moment of panic as to whether I'd lost the whole dratted map! Then I remembered...

So, two versions of Palace 5 here, the first the straightforward black and white one, the second with that Cover Sheet in action.

Inevitably, the uncoloured one is the sharper, because to get a sufficient RGB Matrix colour Effect on the blue one, the Transparency can't be set too low, but it seems an acceptable compromise.

LoopysueMonsenJimP

Thanks Sue! Tracing snowflake shapes is quite addictive after a while - probably just as well, as I've still six more to go...

I have started making progress on getting the accompanying notes sorted out for the Palace as well, so it's not been all mapping lately. ?

LoopysueJimP