Last Active
Roles
Rank
Mapmaker
Badges

Latest Images

• Community Atlas: Wyvern Citadel Defence Zone on Kentoria

Thanks very much Remy!

It's great to know the Atlas has grown so much, especially with the recent boost due to the winter contest. Amazing to think when that competition began we were still a couple of maps short of 500!

Loopysue
  • Marine Dungeon - a Cartographer's Annual development thread

Julian makes an interesting point here about other undersea settings than fantasy. There are probably more options to set people thinking of underwater adventures in fiction for the alternative-Victorian to modern periods than the pseudo-medieval fantasy one overall. Quite a number of the Bond movies from the 1960s and 1970s involved some undersea elements, for instance. Personally, it was the 1965 Thunderball film that started me thinking about underwater games more generally, partly because that was coupled with a lot of cheap plastic toys around then that were (often rather loosely, for which read "copyright-avoiding") based on that movie. That influence has never entirely gone away. There was also the Gerry Anderson children's TV series Stingray around the same period (1964-65), which was set in a then-near-future-looking 2060s.

I'm not sure this moves things forward in this project however, since there are already CC3+ assets to cover much of these settings (admittedly, while needing to repurpose or adapt for some things), so the sea-bed setting is probably the key thing for this project, and by the looks of things so far, that seems to be getting some excellent coverage already!

Loopysue
  • [WIP] Cliff City B&W

Sorted!

JulianDracos
  • Marine Dungeon - a Cartographer's Annual development thread

Yeah, it is depressing to think how exciting Modron was when I first saw it in the late '70s, yet it's still one of just a tiny handful of fantasy RPG undersea adventures 40+ years on, for all the booklet doesn't really do as much with the marine environment as it might. That merfolk village layout is identical with what JG were doing for purely land villages at the time, for instance, albeit the seabed map is still the most detailed for any underwater fantasy setting, so far as I recall.

pkfrye
  • [WIP] Cliff City B&W

Thanks Julian.

The new FCW file shows one small grey patch still, on the northern edge of the map; it's Tag # is 248272, which should let you change its properties without having to find it first.

The latest update map image is looking good now. Just one bridge with odd shadows still, that between mesas 1 and 2, coming off the main eastern cliff-line.

So yes, with luck you can start adding actual map details next!

JulianDracos