Username
Wyvern
Last Active
Roles
Rank
Mapmaker
Badges

Latest Images

• Paper Modelling (October 2021 Cartographer's Annual)

The Mapping Guide for the October issue of the Cartographer's Annual has some excellent notes on preparing and constructing paper and card models for use in tabletop gaming, aside from describing the models provided with this issue and how to customise them for individual use.

Two paper model manufacturers were singled-out for particular attention there, World Works Games and Fat Dragon Games. Both have indeed been producers of excellent quality downloadable PDF models, and both have construction information provided with some of their products and separately online. However, there's an unfortunate past tense here.

Fat Dragon Games is still a going concern, but the owner has switched attention entirely to 3D printed models in the last few years, so while the paper models back-catalogue remains fully available, there have been no fresh models during that time, nor does it seem likely now that there will be. Fat Dragon's products are available directly from the company's website, as well as via the OneBookShelf download sites (such as DriveThru RPG).

World Works Games too still have much of their old back catalogue available online, but only via their own website. For unclear reasons, the owner stopped supporting the site some years back, and has produced no new models in many years. In recent times, the website has been offline with monotonous, if unpredictable, frequency. While their paid-for models have all been permanently reduced in price now, this problematic access to the site (which also restricts you to a limited number of downloads for each item purchased) means that if any of their models do appeal, be sure to make plenty of backup copies of anything you buy and download from them.

As someone who's spent a lifetime making and designing paper and card models, my recommendation would be to check around for paper models and miniatures via the OneBookShelf sites (some manufacturers are not on both DTRPG and Wargame Vault, for instance), but perhaps more usefully, to also check-out, and spend some time looking through, the copious amounts of information freely available on the ProBoards Cardboard Warriors Forum. That Forum provides access to vast numbers of free minis and models (often via the One Monk Miniatures website), with links to many more stored elsewhere (including via the Internet Archive, for those items no longer on active websites), while many of the currently-active paper mini and model producers are often present there. You don't have to be a ProBoards member to access the Forum (free to join, and no real obligation beyond the usual Forum politeness, much as here), but if you want to post there, such as to ask questions (there's always someone happy to try to help, if possible), you will need a ProBoards account. You may even notice a curiously familiar moniker among the contributors there...

Just wanted to say too it was nice to see Dioramas 3 getting a little love via this Annual issue!

LoopysueScottA[Deleted User]
  • How to remove white line on smooth polygon river; Herwin Wielink Style

There are learning curves with most of the mapping styles, I've found - remembering what symbols and drawing tool fills are available in each, particularly - and it does help if you're working with one, or a few together (as here), for some time. I like the Herwin Wielink style as well; it was the primary alternative to what was just CC3 when I started working with the program, and I made plenty of mistakes trying to recreate a map of part of the D&D Sword Coast region of their Forgotten Realms setting for 5e using it.

This latest shot is very impressive of your own map!

apowers
  • Pen & wash question

Realistically, and much as Sue already said, if you're aiming for a hand-done pen and wash style illustration, it should look like a watercolour painting, where the wash sometimes covers the line, sometimes runs short of it. There isn't a voting option for that, and I really don't see this as an "either or" choice. So sometimes that'd be "A", sometimes "B", but more often a mix of both, with some additional overlap too.

Lillhansroflo1LoopysueAleD
  • How to remove white line on smooth polygon river; Herwin Wielink Style

It would be good to see the finished map at some point, if you'd be willing to share it. It's impressive enough now, and there are some wonderfully inventive touches - I think my favourite is the use of the Mike Schley grazing horse symbols to spice-up the look of the farmland!

apowers
  • WIP - Liosach

The cloud symbols Sue mentioned are in the Alyssa Faden Overland style in the 2014 November Annual. Been using it myself recently!

LoopysueJimPCalibreGlitch