Wyvern
Last Active
Roles
Rank
Mapmaker
Badges

Latest Images

• A couple maps

The area map looks pleasing in overall style, though I'd suggest a different scaling. Some of the symbols are far too huge to tell where they're meant to be, given the hexes are a mile across each. It might be worth considering shifting to the classic "Old School" style hex maps, with a single terrain feature or item per hex of whatever size, perhaps, if you want to retain the hexed look. If retaining this current hex-size and then re-scaling though, most settlements will end up looking like dots. And should "The Lost Caves" even be shown on the map? They are "Lost", after all. ?

The village map doesn't appear to have any hexes (the scale comment). The Inn seems oddly peripheral to the entire settlement, and a very long and extremely circuitous way from the Brewery. Similar problem with the Blacksmith and the Stables; they needn't be neighbours, but likely a bit closer than this. The Blacksmith also needs a reliable, easily-accessible water-source (well, say, or a spring). Assuming the Mill is a water mill, it would benefit from having its own small, controllable water channel off the main river (= a leat). Lot of oddly large "Warehouses" well away from anywhere whatever's stored there might be used/needed, unless they're not so innocent as the name might suggest...

Autumn Getty
  • A small SS4 map

Well if we're talking gazebos - and this famous one particularly - you might care to take a look at this Pay What You Want paper mini on Drive Thru RPG:

Daniel Pereda De PabloCalibre
  • Chop up a map into even pieces?

From a long-time GM's perspective, what I'm looking for in a map I'll be using to run a game is something clear enough that I can find the information I need immediately, and if necessary on-the-fly. Fancy artwork's all fine and good, but if it takes me ten minutes to work out where all the entryways are to this room/cave/building/etc., that's not a good GM's map to me!

That's not to say a map can't be good-looking as well as practically useful. From the very first D&D maps I drew, back in 1977 or so, I've always used colour and shading as additional GM's visual aids. On published scenario maps going back to my first Judges Guild products (the earliest available for D&D, basically), the ones I used, or hoped to use, are all hand-coloured, so I could tell at a glance just what - or who - was where. And it's great to have the assets of CC3+ to play around with now when constructing any maps, of course.

Where a map might also be used as a visual aid for players though, up to and including a tabletop battle-map, something more artistic would be preferable, to help give the setting more flavour. In later times, I sometimes used 3D cast or papercraft scenery this way as well. With 3D cast minis, it makes sense, and helps folks get a better idea of scale, I think. This, of course, is not a cheap or quick option!

One thing I did find in using 3D terrain was it helped to have a GM's map, and then a much simpler sketch-style map so I knew what bits of terrain needed to go where, to speed up the tabletop construction process, and I developed this in CC3 (as it then was) using the simpler option of darker (sometimes coloured) lines on a white background, as it didn't need anything fancy, being just for my own reference.

Autumn Getty
  • Community Atlas: Wyvern Citadel Defence Zone on Kentoria

I've just sent Remy the final files for this project, after the last descriptive PDF file, for the Tomb of the Wyvern Lords, took rather longer than anticipated to complete. Yep, got a bit carried away with it all yet again... Some extracts:

A rare cycle of tales in Shoenia speaks of a great leader, Murgon, who saved the country from invasion millennia ago by his wit, cunning, magic, leadership, strength and good fortune. His recounted exploits give him demi-god-like status. Said to have been the first person to discover how to bond with wyverns, he became inseparable from "his" golden wyvern (a type of wyvern long believed extinct, if it ever existed at all), Malvernus Thunderchild. When the pair died defending the nation in one final battle, they were buried together in the same tomb. Other tales in the cycle suggest instead that they never really died at all, but went voluntarily into a subterranean chamber with a hundred of Murgon's best rider-warriors and their wyverns, there to sleep until the nation should be in its direst peril, whereupon they would reawaken and emerge to save the day. Murgon's greatest achievement, some say, was his invention of the magical flying chariot that could be towed by a bonded wyvern, and which all his warriors also used. It is thought he took his chariot, the first and greatest, with him to his long sleep - or his tomb, depending on which version of the story is being related. Such chariots, like the golden wyverns, no longer exist, if they were ever more than a figment of a storyteller's imagination. Much of the cycle of tales regarding Murgon the First Wyvern Lord are regarded now as little more than entertaining myth-stories.

The tales, however, are true. Well, not so much the "hundred sleepers" one, but Murgon existed, and he bonded with a golden wyvern, flew in a magical chariot, was a great leader known as "The Wyvern Lord" in his lifetime, and was finally laid to rest with the body of his wyvern in an impressive tomb far below the ridge near where Wyvern Citadel now stands. Only nobody knows this for certain.

Following from this, I set Murgon's lifetime and burial at around 2,500 years ago. The subsequent tombs in the final underground level came about at various later epochs. The two Mummy Tombs, for Amet (or Efnut) the Great and his son Telesthon date to about 1,900-2,000 years ago, then the Scarlet & Angel Tombs, for, respectively, Ndi! the Seeker, also known as "Dragon Lord, Wyvern Rider", and Fhasmet High-Flyer, who ruled for 10-15 years, came in at roughly 1,700-1,800 years ago. ("!" represents a type of tongue-click where the tongue is dragged sharply forwards along the upper palette from the back of the mouth here, incidentally.) The occupied Pillared Hall Tombs then fit between approximately 1,600 to 1,400 years ago, for Dagmet of the Web (circa 1,500 years ago), Xas! (who ruled for 12 years; otherwise unknown and excluded from the preserved Wyvern Lord lists still extant modernly), Khan (who appears not to be buried here, but who is listed as having been Wyvern Lord after Dagmet, and who ruled for 40 years or so, elsewhere), Eshmet Mage-Warrior (said to have reigned for 60-70 years after Khan), Elt (a later Lord who is not buried here either), !ar (ditto), and four other Lords whose names are not preserved modernly, the last of whom died probably around 900 years ago. After this came the Bloodline Lords, until the last of them died out some 400-500 years ago, following which the title fell into disuse.

There are certainly large historical gaps in this sequence, and it's complicated by the fact the records suggest sometimes more than one Wyvern Lord may have been around simultaneously. This may be because the Wyvern Lord position was originally occupied by someone of appropriate capabilities who was chosen by the wider community as a leader in times of strife and emergency. Once the emergency was resolved, the Lordship became more of an honorific title, as ruling power shifted back to the individual settlements and areas making up the community, at least in theory. Some of the early Lords apparently tried to establish bloodline ties to retain the post in their own family, though this seems to have become the established pattern only for the later Lords, none of whom are buried here.

Those familiar with parts of Earthly history/archaeology and folklore/mythology may recognise items shamelessly ripped-off adapted from elsewhere in all this, which naturally is par for the course in devising RPG settings!

I'll see about posting copies of the final maps in my Gallery after adding these notes.

[And so, having created innumerable problems for anyone trying to map in this part of Kentoria subsequently, with one mighty bound he was free to wreak havoc elsewhere!]

[Deleted User]Loopysue
  • Cosmographer Questions

The Cartographer's Annual star charts graticule started life as described in this Forum topic from 2018. There are several links to find similar graticules from that topic if you don't want to draw your own. CA34 from 2009 October has one, for instance, and long-time Forum correspondent @JimP has done work on the subject too, culminating in Bill Roach producing some templates available for free download from Jim's Crest of a Star website - zip file is on this page.

Loopysueargel1200JimP