Username
Wyvern
Last Active
Roles
Rank
Mapmaker
Badges

Latest Images

• [WIP] The Dancing Princess (Community Atlas, Artemisia, Spiros Isle, Helinesa)

Looking at the base drawings you're working from, and dependent on how close a copy you're trying to make of them, it's worth studying things in some detail before going further, and thinking-through exactly what's being shown.

For instance, it looks to me as if the full width of the vessel at the waterline hasn't been included in the top-down plan drawing. There should be a sliver of the broadest part of the vessel's sides visible below the cannon barrels, which obviously isn't shown on the plan view.

As a perhaps more significant element, the masts are not all vertical, but at a slight angle (hence why they're not illustrated as circles on the original plan view), they're not all of the same dimensions, and you seem to have missed the bowsprit entirely (or rather, you have a broad linear piece of wood texture at the angle and placement as shown in the drawing, but drawn as if it were merely a flat piece of the deck). The latter will be especially problematic, as the original drawing doesn't seem to indicate its full length (it should extend well beyond the bows, for instance). There's the further complication that it should have at least one yard suspended below it, partway along, to carry the spritsail. You may have to busk this from the 3D model images in Remy's posting, I suspect - much as with the features of the upper parts of the masts, i.e. any crow's nests (which should probably be shown as the ship's highest "level" in an FRPG drawing). If you're intending a vertical cross-section for the ship too, you'll need to think-through where the yards are on the main masts.

There are other features that would benefit from further consideration (beyond what Sue and Remy already noted) - e.g. the hatch covers - but this is already running longer than I'd intended, and I haven't time for more currently!

JimP[Deleted User]LoopysueEukalyptusNow
  • Community Atlas - Alarius - Seal Island

You might move the "Quaniit (Falling Snow) Mtn" label above the peak itself, and maybe making it Multiline (so it doesn't hide the village by the shore). It's not very clear where it is currently.

[Deleted User]
  • Community Atlas - Ezrute - Dunor Valley - Snihovi Polya region

Might be worth sharpening-up the glow on the text lettering. The "misty" look is fine in places, but where it drops-out - most obvious on "The Staryy Cholovik" label - it starts to be less easy to read.

The scale-bar is very hard to read, and although the grid helps in that regard, the actual scale-size of that grid needs to be clearer.

[Deleted User]
  • [WIP] Community Atlas - Kumarikandam - Xinxing - Ylangxi City

The water texture looks rather "busy" to my eye, but that's probably just me.

There is an issue with some of the text however, where the grey glow is blending into the background in places - on roads and buildings, especially where the road edges are outlined with narrow dark lines - e.g. "Petaluma Stockyards" and "The Heart Markets". In other places - e.g. "Northwind House", "Xi Ling's Market Gardens" - the text itself looks somewhat transparent when set above paler backgrounds. This is all based on the Gallery image, incidentally. However, it did look as if there problems with the text in parts of even the lower-res whole-map view posted above here.

The bulk of the city seems a little empty of named places. Maybe even a few major street names might help here, although perhaps a few of the larger or different-looking properties might be named as well/instead?

JimP[Deleted User]
  • Ferraris Style; Ramparts Not Working

I can actually see the pitted texture possibly being useful, but not here.

Unfortunately, as Sue mentioned, the appearance of the acne-pitted texture changes as you zoom in or out to the map, and you may find too that it appears different again when you prepare an exported image (resolution-dependent). This makes it difficult to rely on this appearance when drawing maps.

JulianDracosJimP