Wyvern
Last Active
Roles
Rank
Mapmaker
Badges

Latest Images

• Style Request: East Asian Floorplan/Dungeon

I was actually thinking more about the topic title than what the style might contain, Sue, in case someone's trying a search in future for something for elsewhere in East Asia than Japan.

Loopysue
  • my quick ice bit CA189, not a cavern though

Yeah, I think it's a lack of the right Sheet Effects Jim. Try looking at the Winterbourne Langton sample FCW that comes with the Winter Village pack, and see how the narrow footpaths have been done there (on the ROADS Sheet). Those are a near analogue to what I was thinking of here.

For the final wolf tracks, however, you might need to be creative, and draw some suitable polygons to get the look right for footprints dragging through the snow at this scale, rather than using drawn lines. Try playing around with the Effects first though.

I can't offer a great deal more precisely, as the wolves are showing up as rectangular red Xs for me on the FCW. I thought I'd reloaded all this free stuff a while ago, but I got a number of red Xs on Quenten's Vertshusen city map for the recent mapping contest too, so I must have missed some stuff. I've never used these non-PF symbols though, so it's not really worthwhile my going through the involved rigmarole to try to load them all up again. Sorry!

Loopysue
  • Style Request: East Asian Floorplan/Dungeon

Isometric building and room maps can look good for players, but they're often a nightmare for GMs trying to run an adventure, where you need to know exactly where everything in a room is at a glance, and how it connects to everything else in its vicinity. A top-down map gives you that control, plus for players, they can see instantly where everything is too, as battlemaps, for instance.

Iso can have its uses for a GM though, where flat wall features (such as carvings) might be important, say, though that may need several views so all walls can be identified and seen clearly.

Slightly concerned that "East Asian" seems to be being redefined as just meaning "Japan" here, given Japan's a tiny fraction of East Asia overall. Might be better to retitle this topic as referring to Japan only? Or expand the discussion to include features from China, Mongolia, the Koreas, Taiwan and perhaps places adjacent as well?

EukalyptusNowJimP
  • And another small map, this time in SS2 / CSUAC2

The tents look rather flat, very pale and a bit "ghostly" by contrast to many of the other symbols. Might be worth rethinking their use here?

Also, the bridge shadow seems to be at a different angle to all the others in the map (presumably because this has been drawn as a separate "shadow" polygon).

Daniel Pereda De Pablo
  • World of Myirandios - Mivlis-Gyaflaggio region (400 x 400 km)

Lot of detail there, certainly!

If this was going into the Atlas, I'd suggest a rethink on some of the labelling, as to my eye much of it's getting lost amongst the terrain in places (using the larger Gallery version to check this). Indeed, there are labels visible on that version that I didn't spot on the Forum one. Since it's for personal use, that's probably less of an issue though!

JimP[Deleted User]