February 5, 1968
Real Name
Kevin
Rank
Mapmaker
Badges

Latest Images

• I'm hungry for your lore!

Thank you for the tip -- I will check out Fandom.com. I actually started my own wiki about my world of Adnati on my WordPress-powered website. I use a plugin called Yadawiki for the wiki functionality. The Religion section is the most developed, followed by Geoscience. (History so far covers ancient history but not so much "modern" history.) I have tons more plotted out in MS Word docs that have not yet made it onto the wiki, much of which would have to be kept private until players learn those elements of the world.

Now that I am finally starting to learn CC3+ and FT+ (after owning the software for about six years but being too intimidated to learn it), I can finally start doing some mapping. (I decided about six months ago to start watching the tutorials and surprise, surprise, learned so much more than I did on my own with the PDF manuals.)

I don't actually have any players at the moment. Just having fun worldbuilding. But I have a fully fleshed out concept of how the players will meet, the circumstances that get them into a group and kick-off the story, and the major elements (and end goal) of their campaign arc.

JackTheMapper
  • I'm hungry for your lore!

What a cool idea for a thread! I've been working on the lore for my world for five or six years, but it's been less than six months that I've finally started to learn Campaign Cartographer, so I don't have a lot of maps to go with the lore.

But here's a map of a Greco-Roman inspired temple (more images in one of my galleries), and the lore to go with it:

This religion is loosely inspired by Greek/Roman mythology -- temples are in that style, and the gods are depicted in art wearing tunics and togas, even though the populace doesn't wear that kind of attire anymore. I will give you a condensed overview. In the pantheon, there are eight major gods who are consorted couples that rule over the four spirit realms: the heavens, the seas, the land, and the underworld. Iliós, the Sun God, is the god of thunder and lightning, battle and war. His consort, Vasilissa, is the goddess of governance, law, and civilization. Together with their adult children they reside in a palace of gold and fire, called Aurinko, which traverses the sky as the sun. The gods of the sea are Thálassi, god of salt water and oceans, and Révma, goddess of freshwater lakes, rivers, and streams. They reside in Helmi, a spherical palace carved from a giant pearl that traverses the oceans of the seas and the skies as the moon. The gods of the land are Thirío, god of animal life on the earth, and Iouloúdia, goddess of plant life. The live in Trypóno, a palace on earth most often shown as being nestled in a hallow of a giant oak tree. The gods of the underworld are Dikastís, the Judge, Adjudicator of Souls, and his wife Éleos, goddess of mercy. They live in Kólasi, an icy, gloomy palace in the underworld. It is said that evil sinners are punished in Kólasi when they die until they are allowed to reincarnate to try again. The spirits of ordinary folks reside in Helmi until they reincarnate. The most heroic are brought to Aurinko to reside with the gods for eternity. (This is a very condensed version that doesn't go into the details of the twelve lesser gods who are their children.)

This temple is meant to worship the entire pantheon. Outside, the barbecue pits are used by temple priests to sacrifice offerings to the gods (great bulls, stags, sheep, and other animals). The gods "feast" on the aromas and then the earthly remains are served to the poor. The pool in front is meant to honor the gods of the sea. The lion statues on the stairs represent the gods of the land, as does the bronze inlaid tree symbol inside the temple. At the peak of the temple is a statue representing the gods of the heavens. In front of the temple there are double rows of eight columns, representing the eight principle deities. There are 17 columns on the sides (in the Greek style of double the front columns plus one.) Inside the temple, which has two giant statues representing Iliós and Vasilissa, there are four niches, each decorated with mosaics representing the four spirit realms: Aurinko, Helmi, Trypóno, and Kólasi. These mosaics are made from luminescent crystals that shed colorful light -- you can see reflections from these mosaics in the second image above.

That's a super condensed synopsis of one of my world's religions (and one of the two principle religions in the main kingdom that will be a starting point). I'm still in "learning and experimenting" mode with CC3 and haven't designed a whole lot of maps to go with the rest of the lore yet.

JackTheMapperMaidhc O CasainMonsen
  • [WIP] From Fractal Terrains to Parchment World

I have been working on taking a part of the world I created in Fractal Terrains and recreating it in various CC3 styles. I did a version in the Parchment style, and now I'm working on one in the Mike Schley style. (I was going to wait until it was done, but I just can't contain myself.) When that's done, I will try doing the shaded contours style that Ralf demonstrated in this video:

The portion of my world that I've been experimenting with is a great island nation called the Republic of Lumadair, a democratic republic with elements inspired by the Roman Republic. Here are exports from Fractal Terrains. (Note: this map is about 6,000 miles wide, so the rivers shown should be considered to be only the very largest ones. That said, I may still add more to the island later.)

And here it is again, recreated in CC3 using the Parchment Worlds style:

It is intentionally scant on civilization details other than labeling the capitol and a mysterious and foreboding area of magic.

LoopysueMaidhc O CasainDaltonSpenceRicko HascheRalfQuenten
  • [WIP] Greco-Roman Inspired Temple

Not really sure why the botanical garden didn't post properly. Trying again.

roflo1LoopysueQuentenJimPMonsen
  • [WIP] Greco-Roman Inspired Temple

I was worried that my temple wasn't looking as cohesive because I was drawing fills and symbols from so many places that didn't quite mesh. In particular, I wasn't happy with how the trees looked. (I also added a gazebo at the top and a botanical garden at the bottom.)

In the end, I decided to try the grass fills and trees from Forest Trail. Here they are without contour patches of other grass shades, at 50 and 100 scale.

And then I tried adding patches of grass of the same fill style, but with a shade higher and lower. I really don't have an eye for this sort of thing. Should I have bigger patches? More numerous small ones. Should they blend in more?

For the botanical garden, I couldn't find flowers among my symbols except for potted plants. It was supposed to be simple so as to not distract from the temple, but I got carried away.

• I made rose bushes by taking bushes from one style and then placing small varicolored bushes from another style on top as roses.
    • I made flowers by using weeds from Forest Trail as the stems and then adding varicolored shrubs from another style as the flowers.
    • I added a fungi garden using varicolored mushrooms of different sizes (plus a few varicolored fairy ring mushrooms from Forest Trail)
    • I was going to use the anemones from Marine Dungeons as a plant, and then thought...why not use them as anemones? So I made a man-made pond for them, plus coral and a few other marine symbols.
    • And I added a carnivorous plant. The only one I could find was from the Mike Schley Overland, which is in a very different style. If anyone has recommendations for other carnivorous plants, please let me know.

LoopysueJimPMonsenRalf