February 5, 1968
Real Name
Kevin
Rank
Mapmaker
Badges

Latest Images

• Trying to create a simple style

I agree with Kertis. I don’t think the mountains need to pop. The beauty in this map is in its subtlety. It’s lovely. You could slightly darken them if you wanted, but I think they would well as they are.

C.C. Charron
  • Mars Ultor

Yes, Marine Dungeons was the foundation of this temple, though I ended up importing other fills from all over the place. I picked that style because I loved the Marine Dungeons’ columns. The walls surrounding the fountain and the barbecue pits are also from Marine Dungeons, as is the blue tiles in the fountain and many of the fills. I also imported fills from Creepy Crypts and Forest Trail, among others.

LoopysueJimP
  • Torstan Holy Head Sewers

I have been working on a sewer system where although I’m using Imperial measurements, there are sections of the map where I am placing symbols by hand instead of using the connecting symbols. If you have snaps turned on, it goes pretty quickly.

JimP
  • FT3+ to CC3+ export with style?

For me, the "Change Like Draw Tool" option under the "Change Properties" button was a game-changer. I describe it a little in this thread.

Basically, I copied the coastline from a Jerion-style export into the new file and then used "Change Like Draw Tool" to change it to the Land tool. I then copied a few of the intermediate contour lines and changed them as well -- you can either change them to your new style's contour tool, or a Solid 10 gray or Solid 10 white if you want it darker or lighter than the existing terrain, or change to the hills fill.

Just be careful about doing too many of the contours, because it will make the files massively large. (Perhaps there's a trick to reducing that that I don't know about, like maybe exploding the contours? I dunno, lots more for me to learn.)

LoopysueJackTheMapper
  • Fractal Terrains to CC3+ - Three Approaches

There were already separate threads seeking advice on the Parchment Maps and Jerion Shading approaches. I wanted to share a little about my technique for the Mike Schley style, including things that I would do differently next time.

I wanted to have some contours consistent with the other maps, so I opened the Jerion export and copied one of the contour areas onto the Schley map, just where the Jerion contour colors started to turn brown (I think around 5,000 or 7,000 feet in elevation). Playing with a technique that Ralf showed in the Jeriod shading demo, I moved that contour to a contour sheet and changed the fill to the Solid 10 fill. I added Edge Fade, Inner and Transparency effects to that sheet. I then created a second contour sheet with the same effects, and did the same thing with a somewhat higher elevation (I think it was around 11,000 feet in elevation). That worked well. I liked how it gave shading and depth without being too intense like a bevel effect would have done.

Here's what I did next that I would do differently next time. First, I look an even higher level of elevation and did the same thing. But instead of putting it on a contours sheet with a Solid 10 fill, I put it on a Land Features Hills Background sheet and changed it to the Hills Background fill style. I also added a Transparency effect to that sheet. And then I did the same with an even higher elevation, putting it on a Land Features Mountain Background and changing the fill style to the Mountain Background fill. At this point, the file got massively big. I think it had a lot of nodes to contend with. Next time I try this approach, I might still do the two Solid 10 contour imports, but instead of also importing contour lines for the hills and mountains, I will draw them on using a JPG image of the original export as a rough guide for where to draw them.

JimP