Wyvern
Last Active
Roles
Rank
Mapmaker
Badges

Latest Images

• [WIP] Sea Elves Outpost

Hydrothermal and other undersea vents come in all shapes and sizes, much as they do on land. As I was working with the deep ocean floor, I wanted something like those relatively recently discovered with entire ecosystems, all with no reliance on sunlight. No plants, naturally, but a fascinating variety of creatures that congregate there. No reason you can't have them just as you've illustrated here, certainly!

Royal Scribe
  • Improving my rivers

Note though that the edit function doesn't work on smooth entities, only straight or fractal ones, and you must have used a drawing tool to create the original entity as well, as far as I'm aware.

Don Anderson Jr.
  • [WIP] - King's Shire - critique sought.

@Reddog remarked: I have to be honest, despite reading various threads about Layers and sheets, I don't see the need at all for layers, so have paid zero attention to them...

Like many things in CC3+, Layers can be powerful friends once you understand what they can do for you. Aside from the unique feature of being able to freeze and unfreeze things on a layer (something you can't do on sheets) - very helpful when trying to select something as long as it's on a different layer, for instance - as Don mentioned, you can easily hide or show entire fresh versions of your map using only layers. You can even toggle them by writing a little macro command, so as to do that with one click! Plus you can hide or show entire rafts of terrain or symbols, so long as you make sure they're on the correct layer. Like the GAME MASTER ONLY layer for hiding all kinds secrets the players shouldn't see (yet)!

Must admit, I've sometimes wished there was a way to group layers together, just as you can group sheets onto layers, so you could turn off or on an entire set of different layers at once. That's probably just me though ๐Ÿ˜!

Don Anderson Jr.
  • WIP - Senan

You should think about uploading a higher-res version of this to your Forum Gallery (maximum size there is 8 MB).

Royal Scribe
  • [WIP] August Mapping Competition -- The Blue Rose Tavern

Does the name derive from the Blue Rose RPG?

Actually I don't know ๐Ÿ˜…. The name is present in the original map on the Atlas.

I should have spotted that!

Interesting to know you've been working with the Midjourney AI as well. I learnt about this recently through the Handiwork Games KickStarter for their new RPG setting "Maskwitches of Forgotten Doggerland", which finished very successfully last week, as all the artwork for that has been done using Midjourney, tweaked subsequently to tidy a few things up, I gather, as the final renders aren't of pro-printable quality (I'm a bit vague on that element, however, so may be wrong!). It seems a very capable system though, as your Blue Rose emblems clearly show!

AleD
  • Large Pit room with Pillar Platforms

Yes, you can change the X and Y scaling for symbols very simply. When you've picked a symbol, just right-click to call up the Symbol Parameters pane as you would if you wanted to change the scaling ordinarily. There, you'll see an empty checkbox for "Independent X and Y". Click that box, and try whatever scaling seems appropriate for each axis - this is almost always trial and error, so you just need to persist. I usually find that what I thought should be the X axis is really the Y, but that's likely just me ๐Ÿ˜‰...

Frosty
  • [WIP] Town of Kukaar (Ancient Cities Annual)

Amazing amount of work in this, and looking excellent!

Rather reminded of the reconstructed layout of the ancient Near Eastern city of Mari by it now. Except that has been done as rather more circularly-symmetrical, and has a broad canal stream running through it, rather than the main river channel. Two-thirds were washed away by the shifting over time of the Euphrates' channel anyway, so there's a fair bit of guesswork involved with that, of course.

In terms of the number labels, the larger size ones seem clear enough to me now without enlarging the glow, although you could increase it if you need them to really stand out more. Sometimes just moving them slightly to have a different background colour surrounding them might be enough to "cure" any perceived difficulties, I suspect.

Not sure about the "13" label in the city for the patch of green there; not certain that's really needed.

You might add a few more trees and bushes along both river banks. These could be regularly cleared and/or farmed in the city, but outside, they'll grow wherever they please, and there's enough water.

Maybe add labels for the two circular canal basins, or even a couple of the main canals, along with a fancy name for the bridge, say? And perhaps a name for the river too?

Royal Scribe
  • Character Artist_Cultist and Monk

So this is what goes on on the Plateau of Leng then... ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿคด๐Ÿ˜ท

[Do I need to mention those last emotes are for The King In Yellow and The High Priest Not To Be Described - and yes I know it's his mask that's meant to be yellow, but what can you do? ๐Ÿ˜]

Mathieu Gans
  • [WIP] Northern Powys (Sarah Wroot Revisited)

Sorry, isn't Powys entirely landlocked? Oh no, wait, this is a fantasy version of Powys... ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜

[If anyone's confused by this, Powys is a landlocked county in Wales, along part of the border with England, and has no shoreline!]

Royal Scribe
  • Cartographer's Annuals and content

This is though an excellent time to consider a complete Annuals purchase, because by buying the Annual Bundle, you get all eleven years' worth of Annuals for the discounted price of 189 GBP, less ANOTHER 30%, because of the ongoing Black Friday Promotion (ends 2017 Nov 27), so making the total just over 132 GBP, less than half price overall.

I mention this because that's what I did last year, after also trawling through all the Annuals, and finally realising there were too many interesting things to be selective (for me anyway)!
    Kevin