Wyvern
Last Active
Roles
Rank
Mapmaker
Badges

Latest Images

• Island Chain annual

I can confirm the problem Quenten reported. At a guess, it may be to do with the CA187_MediumIslandChain.esc file (I'm not familiar with the file type, so don't know what to open it with to check). That's the file being accessed by the macro that runs the drawing tool, at least, and it seems to be the main difference between the three Island Chain drawing tools from a quick look.

Also, can you make your own island shapes and add them in - if so, how do you add them

You can just use one of the basic landmass drawing tools in the style to do this. Note you can also delete individual islands and replace them this way (as I just did a quick test doing precisely that).

JimP
  • Contours and terrain problems ("decide settings myself")

Yep, there's a steep learning curve when starting out with CC3+, but you will find it quickly gets easier with experience.

Glad things managed to get sorted out for you with this one though.

Keep up the mapping!

JimP
  • Island Chain annual

Not sure what's happening with your scrolling crash problems, as I'm not finding that. Hopefully someone more technically adept can comment usefully about it, however.

The Island Chains rely not simply on drawing tools, but on a whole host of Sheet Effects. You can find those by looking at the LAND Sheet when you have either the Outer Hebrides or Shining Pearls example maps open. Pages 5 and 6 of the PDF mapping guide explain how you can import those correctly into a different style, and although the Jon Roberts style is used as the example, it should be similar in other overland mapping styles, like the Mike Schley ones, although you'll probably need to adjust things in somewhat different ways than for the Jon Roberts style.

Oh, and a minor aside for @Ralf - I just noticed that the BITMAP Sheet is still present in the Outer Hebrides example map; just gives a big red "X", of course, but maybe best removed if the Annual issue's being updated for the installer?

Ralf
  • Island Chain annual

You should have done some of the isles as if spiralling in to the whirlpool as well, maybe.๐Ÿ˜ต

[Deleted User]
  • Community Atlas - Forlorn Archipelago - Poncegraf Village - Church

Interesting to see the "bo(u)lder" approach you took to the hedge shadows problem ๐Ÿ˜

[Deleted User]
  • Island Cliffs advice

Sorry I wasn't around last week to help with this, as the technique of using mountain symbols for cliffs like this is very similar to what I used for my "The Cliff" map, Errynor Map One, in the Community Atlas some time ago.

Glad you managed to get everything resolved to your satisfaction though, as it's quite a tricky problem to get the covering clifftop polygon to always look right especially.

Of course, next you'll be wanting to differentiate between pebble and sandy beaches in the shoreline coves ๐Ÿ˜‰

Loopysue
  • CC3+: Symbols are ordered correctly unless sheet effects are on

Yeah, for some reason I don't pretend to understand, the symbols on the same Sheet will reorder themselves like this occasionally. Haven't come across it being related to Sheet Effects before, but there's probably some sophisticated reason why this happens. I'll leave that to others to explain!

You would probably be better off setting up the different buildings that are at different relative heights from one another on their own separate Sheets. There's no real disadvantage to this, except you remembering which Sheet is which, and making sure you've copied over the same Effects (if that's what you want, of course) to each new Sheet. So long as your Sheets are correctly ordered to stack the way you need, this should solve the problem (and might give some additional useful shadow effects on parts of the structure that are lower than others, for instance).

throcken
  • Community Atlas: Queen Mica's Scintillant Palace

Blast from the past there, Jim!

"Them!" (IMDb link) was one of the 1950s nuclear fear monster movies, and I think (as confirmed by Wikipedia - make of that what you will ๐Ÿ˜‰), was the first to feature giant insects as the protagonists. And yes, giant ants can never escape from all of that for those in the movie-know!

JimP
  • Commission WIP!

A lot of the real-world fold-out maps I've used tend to have the key all across the base margin of the map, often with other items down the sides, or scattered in various other parts on or off the map - often wherever there's some convenient areas of open sea (given they're primarily UK maps I've used in this regard, and the sea's never that far from anywhere here!).

In this case, it seems to me the key is such an essential part of the map, with items that would otherwise have been written directly onto the places themselves, had space and clarity allowed, the lower-central placement is fully justified, and makes the whole drawing look more balanced. Setting the key to the lower right would unbalance the whole composition uncomfortably to my eye.

JimP
  • [WIP] August Mapping Competition -- Vertshusen Distillery

Looking good!

You may be having a few problems with the classic "jumping text" issue, pushing things out of position too far at different zoom resolutions, or with different bitmap image renders - hence "Grain & Water Storage" in your Second Floor map ends right at the edge of the panel behind the text lines, for instance. This is down to how CC3+ handles text, and is a perennial problem, unfortunately. Beyond exploding the text again (which fixes it in place) - as before, not an ideal solution, as it means it's no longer editable text - you can try to make fuller use of the text placement point (like "Bottom Center", "Mid Left", etc.), as that means the text nearest that chosen point will not move away from where you place it. However, it will move away in the opposite direction (or both, if you pick something like "Mid Center") if it needs to/feels like it, so there's an element of swings and roundabouts here.

The only real solution is to expand things like the coloured background panel behind the numerical key list, so that when you view the map complete on screen, all the text fits in it. Then try scrolling in or out a little, and see if the text still fits inside that area. If it doesn't, adjust the size of the panel again. This should mean that in most cases the text block will look OK both in a normal CC3+ view, and in most whole-map image renders. Most, though not all, sadly, and it can sometimes mean the background panel looks a little too large.

[Deleted User]