Wyvern
Last Active
Roles
Rank
Mapmaker
Badges

Latest Images

• [WIP] Modern city map

You'll be showing us the railway timetables to get to Oakwood next (but I'm not getting on Joe Sargent's bus there)!

[The latter's a Lovecraft reference from The Shadow Over Innsmouth story for anyone confused...]

Lizzy_MaracujaAleD
  • [WIP] Modern city map

They always were Quenten; just becoming increasingly difficult to conceal that fact 👽️🦑

Lizzy_Maracuja[Deleted User]
  • Investigative shenanigans

And not a bathroom in sight.

AleDLillhansLoopysue
  • Hexcrawling starter maps

The published maps and artwork for ShadowDark all tends to be black-and-white. I don't mean greyscale here, but sharply-contrasting black-and-white line hand-drawings. It would be good to have something similar for CC3+ (especially for dungeon-style maps, as the current CC black-and-white dungeon styles don't have sufficient bitmap options, or high enough symbol and bitmap resolutions, to look sufficiently clear and presentable - I did some tests for this too), particularly given the current popularity of OSR systems overall, which tend to favour this kind of map look in general. It is though easy enough to convert these maps to at least greyscale, simply by adding a suitable RGB Matrix Process effect to the whole map:

Oh, and a minor tweak to the colour of the lettering!

LoopysueMonsenJimP
  • Starfinder rpg site, with maps

You might be able to use resized pieces of Cosmographer starship gear for the space-stations Jim, if they'll stand resizing sufficiently. At this scale, something that obviously isn't the shape of a planet will probably work!

Also, is it "Disapora"? I don't know Starfinder, but for a scatter of asteroids (which is what this seems to be), "Diaspora" might be more apt.

roflo1JimP
  • CC4?

Yes, CC4 is a work in progress. As CC3+ users, we have no definite information beyond that, so far as I'm aware. It will doubtless all be revealed in due course!

EukalyptusNowWarstaffevildmguy
  • Live Mapping: New City Style (Part 1)

I actually rather liked the look of the original map; there's a clarity to it that sometimes gets lost with the fancier non-vector styles. I may have made similar comments before though 😉😁!

JimProflo1
  • Winter Village style development (March 2022 CA issue)

There are things to be said for both options (plus of course, you can't assume everyone will wish to map somewhere where the snow falls in late autumn/early winter, thickens and only starts to thaw around the start of spring - i.e. the randomness of what happens in British winters!), and both are obviously buildings. However, the one with less snow cover has a bit more character to it, which would definitely support the idea you mentioned in your most recent post Sue.

LoopysueJulianDracos
  • Winter Village style development (March 2022 CA issue)

Not merely tin (or other sorts of metal) roofs, but any smoother kinds of roofing material, such as tiles or slates. The idea is to substantially roughen the surface in some fashion - using rocks or logs sometimes (still to be seen in the Alps today in places, for instance). Reason I suggested them is, and depending on the snow thickness, they can break-up the appearance of the smooth surface of the snow seen on the roof symbols currently.

Thatched roofs tend to be pitched steeply enough to shed snow (and water), thus snow shouldn't accumulate as much on them (in parts of Japan subject to heavy snowfalls, the thatched roofs have a particularly steep pitch, for example). This isn't so much because thatch can't cope with the snow or water, but because thatch is usually lighter than other roofing materials, so may not be sufficiently supported by the underlying roof structure to carry the additional weight of substantial snowfalls.

LoopysueJimP
  • Community Atlas: Embra - Hilly Places

Thanks very much Sue!

I wanted the cliffs here to look different to yours, which I'd already decided to use for the red sandstone types at Embra, as the Palace Heights ones are meant to be a harder, volcanic type of rock. Actually, a Faerie type of volcanic rock, which has different properties and abilities to "ordinary" volcanic rock, so I also wanted the forms here to act as a reminder that something a little different to normal was involved. I also used a similar style of cliff drawing in one of the Crossing Places Streets - the Rocky Vale under Seafield Road there, again because the Vale is a weird place that can't be reached, another reminder of something odd happening there.

[Deleted User]Loopysue