February 5, 1968
Real Name
Kevin
Rank
Mapmaker
Badges

Latest Images

• Trying to create a simple style

I agree with Kertis. I don’t think the mountains need to pop. The beauty in this map is in its subtlety. It’s lovely. You could slightly darken them if you wanted, but I think they would well as they are.

C.C. Charron
  • [WIP] Community Atlas - Gold Coast, Doriant

I've been working on a 1000 x 1000 mile part of western Doriant that I adopted. (This is separate from the elvish town in Verinress Arl, Artemisia, that I adopted for the 1000th map contest.) I know that new maps for the Atlas aren't being accepted until October, but that's perfect because it will give me a chance to do more detailed maps of specific settlements and points of interest at the same time.

I previously posted about this map in a previous thread, but I've decided to rename it, so I'm starting a new thread.

If it's okay, I would like to rename this the "Gold Coast," a regional term for an area so named because of the sandy beaches and tawny dried coastal grasses in the summer. It's an area that encompasses a region that includes a predominantly human kingdom of Vacuria, the inland human kingdom of Travi, a small elven kingdom to the north called Enía (a constitutional monarchy with a hereditary monarch and an elected Assembly), and a small dwarven kingdom in the southern mountains called the Kingdom of Gongodûr.

I still want to create a Borders drawing tool to draw the borders of each kingdom, but for now, this is what I have:

I have discovered that naming things is one of my bigger challenges. For several years, I've been maintaining a list on my phone of fantasy RPG character names, some of which could just as easily be used as place names. I also tried an old trick I used for naming gods in different pantheons in my campaign world: pick a language available on Google Translate and then look up words to find something tweakable for the god. (For a Thor-like god, for example, I might look up words for thunder, lightning, storms, etc. to find a word that could be modified a little to be a name.) And I also found a Wikipedia list of small towns in England and tweaked them (like changing the suffix from -ford to -port). And there are also a whole lot of patterns: a river that flows from a mountain may take its name from the mountain, and the village beside the river might as well.

Questions:

1. What did I miss that should be named?
    2. Do you have any changes to recommend for fonts, font colors, or sheet effects on text labels?
    3. Any other thoughts?

Here are some zoomed-in views to make it easier to see. In the future, would be better to post the larger map in my galleries so that folks can zoom in?

LoopysueRicko Hasche
  • Watabou City REVISED (annual 157)

Ralf did a Live video where he designed crenellations using a line style. (Has some odd effects when drawing circular crenellations on a round tower, though.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnjFECIl7ZU

Quenten
  • [WIP] Community Atlas Competition - Artemisia - Spiros Isle - Aretizo village

This is really lovely. My only ever-so-slight feedback is that my old eyes are finding it a little difficult to read the legend, so I would consider increasing the opacity of the background fill/color slightly.

Quenten
  • Mountain Village - Oriental

• [WIP] Community Atlas - Eknapata Desert

I am writing up the description for the Eknapata Desert area of Gold Coast region of the Community Atlas. It was designed using the Scorching Sun annual. Any feedback on the map before I submit it?

C.C. CharronLoopysue
  • [WIP] Town of Kukaar (Ancient Cities Annual)

And you are absolutely not coming off as a jerk. It’s fun to play with a new style where the designer is able to give feedback and insight.

Don Anderson Jr.C.C. Charron
  • [WIP] Town of Kukaar (Ancient Cities Annual)

I also tweaked the smaller bridges over the canals so they're more even and identical-looking.

QuentenLoopysue
  • MY MUNDI IS READY!

So beautiful. You make me want to live in the worlds you paint.

Ricko Hasche
  • Wishlist for CC4

I'm sure ProFantasy has a communication plan as part of their scheduled release, and all announcements are carefully scheduled as part of that plan, and we won't know anything until all of the logistics are sorted out...but I am dying to know when CC4 will be released.

Kertis HendersonCalibre