Birthday
November 29, 1950
Real Name
Quenten Walker
Rank
Mapmaker
Badges

Latest Images

• [WIP] Community Atlas Competition - Artemisia - Spiros Isle - Aretizo village

Here are the map notes.

Aretizo Village

This small fishing village, on the south-west coast of Spiros Isle, has a population of 429 souls. Its claim to fame is the annual haul of garum fish when they swarm near the Iamexos Reefs each spring for spawning. These fish are ground into a meal-like texture, and transported in barrels to the Monastery of Holy Spiros to the east, where they are allowed to ferment, spices added and then made into a continent-wide famous delicacy much favoured by chefs Artemisia-wide.

Originally the village, like all else on Spiros Isle, was ruled by rather easy-going Dwarf-lords. But with their overthrow and genocide by the fanatical monks of Holy Spiros, who had been expelled from their native country of the Leonder Imperium, the village has suffered under the direct supervision of the priest, Rev Father Ercole Farinas, installed in the new Church of Holy Spiros. He is a dour unfriendly man, supposed to be celibate, though several maidens have stated to their parents that he is far from that! He is a stickler for any hint of dissent – which he calls heresy – and has recently sentenced the son of the former (now deceased) mayor, to death by the Wheel. In addition, his house has been burned to the ground as warning to all that dissent from Monastery rule is not tolerated.

The victim/heretic/rebel was Georgios Kalimata. He had advocated ‘setting aside’ a certain amount of garum in the basement of the lighthouse to sell on the black market, thus raising funds to help the poor in the village and surrounding area. The taxation by the monastery has left most of the town destitute, but they still all (mostly – the grimy street residents are an exception) take pride in their gardens and houses. But the feeling of resentment is high, and only a spark may set off full blown rebellion. Already, one child, who threw rotten tomatoes st the priest, was whipped and put in the stocks for 3 days straight. He is still recovering at home. Luckily, none of the villagers caused him any damage, and some even gave him food and water under cover of darkness, to sustain the lad during his punishment.

The old Keep, where the dwarf-lord’s seneschal had resided, has been converted into a repository of all goods and money taxed (looted) from the villagers – a full 35% of all goods is the going tax rate, enforce by a goon squad of 2o brothers of the monastery who reside either in the Keep or in houses made vacant by eviction of the previous owners.

Royal Scribe
  • [WIP] Community Atlas - Eknapata Desert

The road setting could be edited to make the dashes a little smaller (not thinner, just smaller). To do this, go into the Lines menu, edit by setting the pattern length to a different figure, and see what you like best. I have been doing this a lot lately.

Also see this discussion: Command Spotlight - Line Styles and Properties — ProFantasy Community Forum

Royal Scribe
  • 1000th Map Competition: Ober, Southern Scar

That is very interesting about hedgerows. Australia, which came to animal husbandry and agriculture rather late in the piece, uses mainly post and wire fences - often barbed wire. So I must say that is why in my villages, i tend to use simple fences rather than hedges or stone walls. Thanks, @Loopysue for you information.

Shessar
  • [WIP] Kingdom of Gongodûr

Not enough squiggles in the rivers - use the fractalization tool, set on Smooth.

Royal Scribe
  • [WIP] 1000th Map Competition: Elkton, Alarius North Central

were-anything could be in fantasy, i reckon. Even were-platypusses

Royal Scribe
  • [WIP] Kingdom of Gongodûr

That all looks great now. I like the way you darkened the non-Gongodur parts. I', glad you liked the fractalization I suggested - it is the one I use the most for rivers. I tend to leave roads alone, but I might use a smaller fractalization in future, seeing what you have done - perhaps Strength 30, depth 1, smooth. I love the way we can always learn new techniques form each other.

Royal Scribe
  • [WIP] Atlas Contest (potentially) - Arbor Hollow (summer, autumn, winter, spring)

I actually did that with my Druidhome in the Atlas.

atlas.cdn.monsen.cc/atlas/artemisia/hi/druidhome.png

Each of the 4 villages in this map represent a season. So I am sure the idea you have is very suitable for the Atlas.

Royal Scribe
  • Sticky Note Dungeon - the evil Wizard Skullifogus

Yes, I did know that - I wanted to try this one first, because I really like the look of it. And it will also be a great help, because I am actually quite hopeless when it comes to designing dungeons.

C.C. Charron