[WIP] Atlas Contest : Ingensteds Village, Seal Island, Alarius

Jeff BJeff B Betatester 🖼️ 38 images Surveyor
edited September 27 in Show and Tell

Still a WIP. Need to add some more details and adjust the fonts but thought I would post to get some ideas of what may need to be changed / adjusted.

Ingensteds is a remote village on Seal island in Alarius. The area is covered in snow most of the year and the sea ice rarely recedes from the land. The people that live in the village like or even relish the isolation. The community works together to collect food and collect resources they need to survive.

LoopysueGlitchRoyal ScribeQuentenRicko HascheC.C. CharronShessar

Comments

• It's beautiful. I really like how you were able to add some contrast to the frozen sea. Are you considering adding any snow-covered pine trees, or is it too cold for them?

One thing to consider: I'm not sure what angle the sun is coming from here, but you might want to consider drawing in some cliff shadows (not sure if Winter Trail has the cliff shadow drawing tool but I assume it does since Forest Trail has it). Maybe just a smidge? But maybe it's not needed if the cliffs are facing the sun.

I couldn't live in an environment that cold year-round, but human history shows us that people will get by in all sorts of harsh environments.

• Jeff BJeff B Betatester 🖼️ 38 images Surveyor

Thank You

I'll work on the shadows but I should also darken the global sunlight as there would be little to none this time of year. Maybe I need some fires set out for lighting.

Based on where the island is and the location of the village I think it's above the tree line (too far North) so I was not going to add any trees or bushes.

I do live in an area that cold but far enough south to have trees.

Royal Scribe

Ok started working on lighting for the map. Still have more stuff to do but here is the current version I'm working on.

Dark Version

Lighter Version

Royal ScribeQuentenLoopysueGlitchRicko HascheShessar

Added more texture to the snow and water. Added some slight shadows around the cliffs.

Cliff shadows still need some work I think and I need to add a few more building lights. Also thinking about making it a moon lite night.

MonsenLoopysueRoyal Scribe

Unless someone fines a glaring issue I missed, I think this will be the final rendition. Added larger image to gallery.

Adjusted the cliff shadows and added the moonlit night effect and added the smoke to the buildings. Also added the frame back in the design.

LoopysueRoyal ScribeMonsen

Working to remove the render lines from the moonlight that are in this version. Will post when I'm happy with the results.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 40 images Cartographer

If I remember correctly that's something that happens if you have the light 360. I have a vague memory that Joe Slayton (Joe, you can bash me over the head if I'm wrong) once suggeted that it was better to use several lights with an angle, for example 4 x 90 degree lights rotated to shine out to the four points of the compass.

I might be completely wrong, but maybe it's worth a try on a separate sheet?

Royal Scribe