Generated Cities

I'm look for a tool that can be used to generate a city map for a game I'm putting together. I've used the source books to generate the political and economic structure and I'm looking to layout a map of the city now. Since the adult population is a bit over 8000, are there macros that I can use to generate the city layout? Perhaps I can use the Fractal Terrains tool to generate the rough layout and input it into City Design to tweak the details?

I can see that City Design is great for small projects and that the potential is there with macro support but I don't know if this is the tool that I should buy. Can this be done or is it just lots of tedium placing items by hand and offline paper work to ensure that everyone has their home and workplace located?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 51 images Cartographer
    CD3 has an automatic street tool that will automatically place (random [based on configurable choices]) houses along a street, enabling you to create complete streets very quickly and easily. (Which again means you can create complete cities quite easily)

I wouldn't even think about Fractal Terrains for this purpose, it is for creating planets, not cities, and does not lend itself particularly well to that scale.
  • There's a decent little tool called the Roleplaying City Map Generator 5.40. It's kind of basic but it's free and It may help you out until you find something better
  • I use different techniques to make my cities.

Some I just bring up City Designer and put the streets and walls in, then add buildings.

Others I create squares and put in roads, trees and buildings. Particularly true of large cities.

On some I have placed square grids so I can label them. Then I create lists of who lives where.