WIP Ailar World Map

Hi all -

I've been putting together a world map for a long-running RPG campaign of mine. The world is approximately 22,000 miles in circumference. The people of the world are recovering from near-destruction, during which most of the continents were significantly altered. The characters found an old map, which gives them a loose idea of where the landmasses are - hence the dim outlines of regions they haven't visited yet. The areas in full detail are ones that they have been to and have recent maps for.

I'm still messing with the terrain color a bit, and would love any advice or feedback anyone has on that. Also, I'm not sure what I want to do about labeling the continents and what symbol set I'll use for cities (labels and major cities being the only things I plan to add, other than a title and scale bar).

Let me know if you have any thoughts!

LoopysueRoyal ScribeMonsenQuentenRicko Hasche

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 40 images Cartographer
    edited August 4

I think you've chosen a pretty good style for the concept.

Continents are usually labelled within the extent of the continent, keeping all the labels relatively similar in font size and definitely the same font and colour.

At world scale its more usual to only indicate the very largest cities - capital cities mainly, and to use a simple dot for that purpose.

You might want to do some nice large slightly curved labels for the ocean names, but keep them fairly subtle- a few shades different to the water colour.

A title/world name would be nice.