Real world vector data for U.S. with state borders?

I am trying to design a Modern Journeys map of a camping trip I took with my family in 1972, when I was 4 years old. My mother typed up her travel log, so I have the dates and locations of every national park we hit over a 10 week trip.

CA92: Real-World Vector Data includes vector data for countries around the world, and I was able to use that to just get the part of North America that I want. But what would be better would be a map with the continental U.S. (ideally also with the southern bits of Canada, but I don't need Alaska or Hawaii) that includes state borders. The PDF mapping guide explains how to download data from NaturalEarthData.com. I think I got what I wanted, but then when I started to read about the conversion software and started looking at the Geo Data Extraction Library, I got overwhelmed.

Before I proceed any farther, I figured that there was a reasonable chance I'm not the first person here to want a continental U.S. map with state borders. Has anyone here gone through the conversion process for U.S. states, and do you have vector data that you're able to share? I'm sure the files would be too massive to post, but you can send me a direct message on this site and we can discuss options.

Thank you!

Comments