Problem with combining path

Hellow everyone :)

I'm having some trouble with CC3 and i can't figure out how to solve them. I hope your combined brain power can :)

Thanks a ton for any and all help you'll provide

I've been trying to draw a map composed of one large main continent a few secondary ones, and a lot of smaller isles.

I had no trouble drawing all the small landmasses but i run into two different ones when drawing the mainland

First : the default landmass tool stop working miday through (after 80 clickes or so). I can keep on clicking but it doesn't draw the fractal lines anymore, and when i right click to close the loop, it closes it from the last drawn fractal line (resulting in a straigh line from start to "finish").

So i told myself "not much of a bother, i'll draw what's missing and combine both halves into a single whole" but when i try and do that, the second problem arise, CC3 simply crashes.

I right click on the explode tool, select combine path from the drop down menu, click on the first path, all is right, click on the second, back to the desktop it is.

Thinking it might be because there are too much entities on my map and CC3 memory is overflowing, i copied both mainland path to a new file, but ran into the same issue.

I'm uploading the map, in case some of you want to look at it to figure out what's wrong.

Both "mainland" path are on the sheet named "Main land" (those are the two i'm trying to combine), every other is on the sheet "LAND", to make them easier to sort out.

Many thanks to everyone,

Edenwrath

Comments

• The problem nearly certainly is far too many nodes in the big continent. Either reduce the nodes, or accept that your main continent landmass will be in 2 halves - it will still look the same as if it were one. I had the same trouble with my Myirandios world many years ago.

BTW, the best command to use to reduce nodes without totally destroying the look of your coastline is SIMPLIFY.

Royal Scribe
  • First I had to cut the two areas to delete the lines joining them - which was a bit tricky. Then, I have used SIMPLIFY, with unit of 1, successfully combined the two, then fractalized with depth 40, number of times 1. The main mass is in red.

I suggest you use Glow, outside, colour 66 with appropriate blur size, and strength as 100 to give the coastline effect, rather than a separate coastline sheet. This cuts out the problem of nodes too close together.

I hope this helps.

Royal Scribe
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 40 images Cartographer

There is a duplication of the upper of the two continents you may need to sort out now or later.

I started writing this before Quenten made his first comment, so it may repeat several things he mentioned.

The northernmost piece of the two appears to have been duplicated at some point, so there are two of them on top of each other on the same sheet and layer. Starting with your original map you can delete one of those copies by picking them both with a tool that will only ever select one entity at a time, like Edit Properties (that's the lower paint can button on the left), cancelling that edit and then using Delete and selecting 'prior' in the right click menu to recall that previous single selection for deleting.

The next obstacle in your path is that these two entities are polygons. You can't join them together until you break them to form lines or paths using the Break tool on the left. Here is a shot of where I have deleted the extra copy of the northern continent and broken the polygons by taking out the section in the middle where they are supposed to be one landmass. I have selected the southern line to show that it is still in two halves at this point.

As Quenten has just pointed out there are a lot of nodes in this drawing, so I have used the Keyboard SIMPLIFY command to remove a significant number - from ALL the landmass entities.

Next I used the Change Properties tool on all of them to reduce the line width to zero and fill the landmasses with the land texture. This was to check that the operation had worked. If it had not, then the land mass would not have filled.

It seems a waste to just delete it, so here is my version of the file.

PS - If you wanted your land masses as outline you can change it back using the same Change Properties tool.

Royal ScribeDon Anderson Jr.
  • Wonder which version he will use, Sue. LOL

• I would go with yours, except that I think too many nodes have been removed - but this can be fixed with fractalize as i have done in mine.

edited July 4

What distance did you use? I used 1.

But I simplified everything - not just the main continent.

• So did I, but then refractlized as indicated above.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 51 images Cartographer

First : the default landmass tool stop working miday through (after 80 clickes or so). I can keep on clicking but it doesn't draw the fractal lines anymore, and when i right click to close the loop, it closes it from the last drawn fractal line (resulting in a straigh line from start to "finish").

As have been pointed out above, this starts to happen because your entities have too many nodes. But I want to point out the reason why this happens in the first place, namely too much fractalization. When you draw fractalized entities, CC3+ places intermediate nodes to be able to make this fractal shape, and each level of fractalization doubles the amount of nodes. This quickly gets out of hand if your setting is too high. When you draw large landmasses, it is adviced to use a lower level of fracatlization. This can be reduced using SIMPLYFY as mentioned above, but it is probably best to draw with less fractalization in the first place.

LoopysueRoyal Scribe

Thanks Remy. I never knew that, so I've learned something as well now.

• Thanks to all of you :) You're awesome as always

Didn't know the fractalization would cause such problèmes, i don't think i've changed the fractal parameters, but might have a long time ago :p

I did change the width of the outline tho.

And to answer the question, she went with sue's map and redrew a few of the island that weren't to her liking, then refractalized as suggested :)

Loopysue

You're welcome :)

It's a pretty landmass. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result.

• So do I llok forward to seeing your end result.