max map size

I have a very simple question about how large a map in Campaign Cartographer 3 can be.

Comments

• ok, what's your question?....

...oh. The map can be any dimensions -- CC3 has essentially an unlimited canvass. I did my world map at 1 unit = 1 km, and the map is roughly 24,000 km x 12,000 km. Depending on your needs, you might need to resize one of the templates, but that takes only a moment or two.

If you add lots of objects to the map (hundreds at least and probably thousands), redraws will start to slow down, but again there is no hard limit.

What are you planning? Perhaps we can give feedback on how best to approach it in CC3.

Steve
  • Sorry about the poor question. It was my firt time posting a question. I normally draw my maps on paper, but there a some draw backs to paper. So I was looking for a mapping program I could use instead of paper. I was trying to find a program that had very few limit’s that I could essentially build a large global map in.
  • sdavies2720sdavies2720 Traveler
    edited January 2010
    I made my worldmap 24000km x 12000km, which works fine. So there's no problem creating a big world map.

You should plan on making separate regional maps though -- don't plan on putting everything on that huge map. The reasons for this are more practical than a hard limit to CC3: If you put a lot of tiny detail on the map, when you zoom out far enough each thing looks iike a black dot. If you get enough of those dots next to each other, you just have a black blob. The detail is all there, and if you zoom back in you can see it, but the detail that is helpful when zoomed in is counter-productive when you are zoomed out.

So, my worldmap has continents, major mountains and rivers, a few big forests, and text names of regions, or things like "Here be Dragons" My regional maps have the cities and roads, farmland, lairs and encounters, castles and baronies, etc. My locale maps are maps of cities, or a specific region of importance. I then have encounter maps as needed which I print out for miniatures.

One great thing about CC3 is you can take a section of the larger map and use it as the basis of the detailed map. You then can easily add the details around it. I've also gone the other way -- once I have a couple of regional maps that are next to each other, I've pasted them together into a singl bigger map that I then printed at a large size -- the extra detail worked well when printed large.

Does that answer your question?

Steve
  • Yes it dose and very well at that, thanks.