Does CC3+ support webm and webp file types?

I use a virtual tabletop application (VTT) called Fantasy Ground to run my gaming sessions. They have just updated their software to accept webm and webp files into their image system. They are also able to handle animated features within the map. This is great and I'm looking forward to using these features but I make my maps with CC3+ and I don't see an option to "Save as..." webm or webp files.

Another question as a tangent to the original question is does CC3+ support animated features in its map?

Best Answers

• taustinoctaustinoc Surveyor
    edited June 2023 Accepted Answer

From Google's FAQ on the subject?

"WebP typically achieves an average of 30% more compression than JPEG and JPEG 2000, without loss of image quality (see Comparative Study)."

This can be significant in a VTT.

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/faq#:~:text=WebP%20typically%20achieves%20an%20average,help%20make%20the%20web%20faster.

Quentenroflo1
  • 3 months later
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Accepted Answer

CC3+ ships with a copy of the ImageMagick convert.exe program that's mostly used for converting large bitmaps into smaller bitmaps with nicer filtering during export. However, it can do a lot more if you're willing to spend a few seconds at the command line. To do this (and your CC3+ install is in the default location), type Ctrl+Esc and type CMD to get a command prompt. Then type

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\ProFantasy\CC3Plus\ImageMagick\convert.exe" image.png image.webp 

to invoke convert.exe in the ProFantasy directory and convert the file image.png to the file image.webp. It supports many image types, so it's not just png to webp It also has many more options than just the two file names, but I'll leave it up to you to read the ImageMagick documentation at their web site ImageMagick – Convert, Edit, or Compose Digital Images.

When you're done with command prompt, type EXIT to close it.

To avoid the command prompt and just run the command, Use the Windows Key + R to get a Run dialog and enter the command line above. I tend to use the full command prompt rather than just the Run dialog because any error messages will disappear and I make many, many errors.

LoopysueMonsenWyvernMapjunkieDaltonSpenceseycyrusGeorge

Answers

• 3 months later
  • I think the answer to both questions is currently "no".

You should be able to use a free online converter to change a high-res JPG CC3+ map to webp or webm though, so that may be one option.

You could probably write a macro that would let you swap between two or more views of the full map, with minor changes between each version, to give you an approximate version of animation in places, but that would be very much of a stop-motion effect (since the map has to redraw between every version of itself), and would likely be very time-consuming to generate. Not really a solution, I suspect.

• I got some maps recxently that were in Webp format. I found Irfanview, free and runs on your home computer, will convert them to anything else it can display. Or convert anything it can display, to Webp.

• edited June 2023

You should be able to use a free online converter to change a high-res JPG CC3+ map to webp or webm though, so that may be one option.

Actually, CC3+ should already come with ImageMagick installed. Try checking if you have a convert.exe executable in the following folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\ProFantasy\CC3Plus\ImageMagick

From there, converting is a matter of calling from a terminal: convert SourceFile.jpg DestinationFile.webp

(you might have to specify the full path of the convert tool)

• What is the advantage of using webp images? A totally ignorant person asking.

• taustinoctaustinoc Surveyor
    edited June 2023 Accepted Answer

From Google's FAQ on the subject?

"WebP typically achieves an average of 30% more compression than JPEG and JPEG 2000, without loss of image quality (see Comparative Study)."

This can be significant in a VTT.

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/faq#:~:text=WebP%20typically%20achieves%20an%20average,help%20make%20the%20web%20faster.

Quentenroflo1
  • 3 months later
  • Reawakening this topic as over the weekend I discovered a recent change to the basic Windows image viewer software, "Photos", means it will now convert webp images to other forms of image, including various bitmaps, such as jpg. You simply use the "Edit" facility and save it how you require from there. There've been a number of other changes to Photos in recent months, but this one is actually useful 😉!

LoopysueJimP
  • I do not see the option to save as a webp.

it goes FROM webp to other formats, but not the other way around. I think that most would be interested in converting TO webp.

• Irfanview has a plugin that will do webp.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Accepted Answer

CC3+ ships with a copy of the ImageMagick convert.exe program that's mostly used for converting large bitmaps into smaller bitmaps with nicer filtering during export. However, it can do a lot more if you're willing to spend a few seconds at the command line. To do this (and your CC3+ install is in the default location), type Ctrl+Esc and type CMD to get a command prompt. Then type

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\ProFantasy\CC3Plus\ImageMagick\convert.exe" image.png image.webp 

to invoke convert.exe in the ProFantasy directory and convert the file image.png to the file image.webp. It supports many image types, so it's not just png to webp It also has many more options than just the two file names, but I'll leave it up to you to read the ImageMagick documentation at their web site ImageMagick – Convert, Edit, or Compose Digital Images.

When you're done with command prompt, type EXIT to close it.

To avoid the command prompt and just run the command, Use the Windows Key + R to get a Run dialog and enter the command line above. I tend to use the full command prompt rather than just the Run dialog because any error messages will disappear and I make many, many errors.

LoopysueMonsenWyvernMapjunkieDaltonSpenceseycyrusGeorge