Is there a way to import a bunch of symbols at once?

As title says. I downloaded Forgotten Adventures' symbol and tile set, which contains a huge amount of content, somewhere around 8 GB worth. I really don't want to sit there and import each PNG individually, is there a way to just grab at least say a folder's worth at a time and import them? Or just point the system to the folder that the PNGs are stored in?

Best Answer

Answers

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 51 images Cartographer
    Accepted Answer

When you import symbols using Symbols -> Import pngs... it will do a folder at a time (note that it does not do subfolders, only the content of the folder you point it to)

LoopysueGlitch
  • Okay, I think I've got it thank you! I didn't think to just click Open again once I was in the folder.

For reference if anyone else sees the thread: to complete the process, you save the file as a Symbol Catalog file through Save As, and then to open it, click the little folder icon at the top of the Symbol section and navigate to where you saved the Symbol Catalog file.

JimP
  • As an additional note: I discovered that you do not actually have to import symbols at all. You can just use the folder icon to navigate to the folder in which your symbols are located, click on any symbol, and it will load that full folder of symbols for use.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 51 images Cartographer

This is true, but remember that if you do it this way, you are giving up a couple of the advantages of symbol catalogs:

• When not importing them, you don't automatically get the 4 resolutions created either. This means CC3+ will use the highest (and only) quality available for your symbols regardless of zoom level. This can impact performance
    • You don't get to set useful properties like which sheet they should go on or things like symbol groups or smart symbols.
    LoopysueJimProflo1