Multi/Hyper threading

Hey guys.

Was wondering if CC3+ is multi-threaded because I'm putting together a new computer soon, and need to know how big of a cpu I really need. Games don't typically use multiple cores so no need to buy the bleeding edge generation if CC3+ isn't multi-threaded.

Comments

• Jeff BJeff B Betatester 🖼️ 38 images Surveyor

I believe the answer is no.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited December 2022

Like most programs, parts of CC3+ are single threaded and parts are multi-threaded. Most effects are multi-threaded because it makes sense to do it that way. Most of the user interface and database handling code is single-threaded because it makes sense to do it that way.

For redraw with some kinds of effects, CC3+ will speed up rendering of those effects almost linearly with the number of CPU cores. For most other interactions with the program like adding or deleting lines or symbols, more cores will make no difference at all.

Having said that, I wouldn't prioritize large amounts of CPU cores (more than about six) for CC3+. I have a fancy new laptop with 14 physical cores (a 12700H) and it does most redraws quite a bit quicker than my main development machine (10600K). However, the quad-core 12100F in my junk machine is also plenty fast for most CC3+ things that I've tried.

• Not sure why you don't think games use multicore. If that was not the case, then I doubt there would be much investment in that arena. Certainly some modern games are lightly threaded, but most do take advantage of multiple cores.

It really depends on how it is programed. Since CC3+ is only 32 bit and is an old program, it does not seem to benefit from much multicore processing. I think you would benefit prioritizing clock speed over cores for CC3+

• I've been using CC3+ on two different computers recently. One, my old computer has a decent i7 8086k, which is a 6 core CPU with a 4GHz base clock (though it usually boosts up to 4.3-4.4), and it handles most things acceptably but struggles with some of the larger maps I've been playing with, especially when turning on the effects. My current computer has a 5900x, which is a 12 core and boosts up to 4.7 GHZ, and on large maps especially I've noticed a significant difference on how quickly it is able to activate the effects, and then move around after that. Though the real difference I've noticed is when saving the maps as PNGs, where the 5900x crunches through the process significantly faster than the old i7.

So anecdotally CC3+ is definitely utilising those extra cores, but as others have said I suspect it's either relatively inefficient given that I'm not universally experiencing double the performance. Though from a user perspective I much prefer using my new computer (though my partner likes to steal it to play the Sims so that's not always an option!).