John Speed Victory

Okay, I am going to overshare a little below the map, so I am giving you a warning now so you can skip it.

LoopysueRaikoMonsenEdELillhansGlitch

Comments

• So this map has quite a few problems, but I am very proud of it because I didn't give up (and trust me I wanted to). Earlier this afternoon, I almost made a post about being defeated by the John Speed map style. I just would never, could never put anything together that looked anything like a map to share. I wanted to move on to a less challenging and painstaking style. I wanted something pretty and something that didn't turn me into my own version of a humble bundle (think sobbing heap).

I pushed my way through the frustration and gave myself both the stern instruction and kind permission to go slow and find a way that worked for me.

1. Double check you have actually read the guide thoroughly and understand it. I thought I was following the instructions--but no--I was not. I wasn't using the template (as recommended) and I was being really clueless about what using "45" meant. I didn't associate it with an angle. I was thinking it was the size of the wall for some reason. I am not stupid, but sometimes, I store ignorance like excess calories in my head and it turns my brain flabby.
    2. If you forget essential functions of the program, look them up and quit trying to fake it. IRL I can't even walk a straight line sober let alone draw one. I just know connecting walls by just eyeballing them will be my job in the zombie apocalypse. But Campaign Cartographer the super-hero mapping program has a solution for that: Endpoint Modifier. Fortunately, the guide made it even easier and straight out said it was the "F5" key. I still have no idea what the icon looks like on my toolbars.
    3. Adapt the instructions so you can figure it out. I was supposed to draw streets first but it was easier for me to lay down the walls and buildings first, so that's what I did. When my first line of walls didn't look like complete garbage that is when I turned the corner and realized if I invested the time and effort, I could produce John Speed maps.

Now what I produced is far from good, and I don't know if I will ever want to make another map in this particular style. There are so many symbol options and you have to place them one-at-a-time! But I am finally getting to my point. The program is definitely not a snap to learn, but there are guides and great people to help. From she who almost wimped out and gave up, I salute you, and I apologize for being impatient and lazy and a dipsh*t so often. I fly in here at warp speed for a few days and then vanish for months, but the people in this community are ALWAYS kind, gracious, and patient when I come back to crash the party.

Here's hoping everyone here thrives and prospers in 2022.

AleDCalibrejmabbottGlitch
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

That's a pretty good map :)

Trying styles out is a good way to learn how to use them.

The endpoint modifier is the top left button in the group of 6 at the bottom of the right hand toolbars. I have a bad connection at the moment, and can't see the page to grab the little icon for you, but it's a diagonal line between two points.

• edited December 2021

I think it's this one Sue? Endpoint

[EDIT - Ooh, it worked! First time I've tried this on the Forum!]

LoopysueLillhans
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Yes, that's the one :)

• See! You folks are fabulous! I am off to try another style--engage!

• Ah, but this way I also got to try out a new command on the Forum as well!