Making a landmass?

Hello, I am new to fractal terrains and my issue is that I want to create a new land mass with islands around it, but there seems to only way to create one is my raising the altitutde but it's like super deep so it is literally taking forever and i haven't gotten progress, any other ways to do this than by button mashing?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Go to the World Settings->Editing tab and check the box at the bottom of that tab that says "Allow prescale offset editing" (you might also want to increase the editing resolution while you are there), and then use the prescale offset brushes to raise and lower the land level - to sculpt your world.

The prescale brushes (green icons) are much better than the ordinary raise and lower brushes, but you should really adjust the strength down to about 0.001 and do things slowly. You will have more control that way.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    A lazy alternative is to select the basic area that you want for your land mass using the freehand tool and then use one of the Global Set tools to get where you want to go. Tools>>Global Set>>Altitude with a value of 1000 followed by Tools>>Global Smooth>>Land Offset with a value of 0 followed by Tools>>Actions>>Create Mound From Selection with a min of 0 and a max of 1000 should get you something vaguely continental pretty quickly. It'll be a little smaller than your original selection and won't have continental shelves, but it's quick.

If you'd like to use the prescale offset feature as Loopysue suggested, having a selection to paint into lets you use a brush with a higher value to rough in things close to sea level and then use global smooth on the prescale offset channel to smooth out those elements.

Having a selection when painting will keep your edges where you want them to be.
  • 11 months later
  • nyanpirenyanpire Newcomer

I know this is my necroing the whole thing, but when I try to make a selection to start it, the selection tool like selections the whole sides of the map because the location is near the equator, so it selections around the island but not in it. The person above had a good thing, but I am just trying to create some easy islands to match a drawing. I was wondering, if perhaps, anyone would want to actually just create it for me? I just can't seem to get selection tool to work properly even though this is closer to what I want. I'm fine with most of the tools, but that selection tool is straight up bad. All I managed to make with the other one was a huge massive island that was basically 100,000 ft and i couldn't get it to go back to a lower altitude to save my life, I had to restart again without saving because I made a mess.