WIP: Manor house (problem with walls)

Hey folks, I'm competing with some others trying to get some work writing content for an rpg, and I've run into a bit of trouble with this map. I'm writing a haunted manor type adventure, using the moody mansions annual, and since the floorplan isn't neatly square I've been drawing one wall at a time. This leads to the problem that they often don't meet up properly, especially since I've drawn one wall at a time. Does anyone know how to fix this, or do I have to go back and do it all over, making it all one wall? I know it might be that I should have used attach, but I find when I try to use it, the tool always ends up attaching to some random node on another part of the map. Anyway, here it is:

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

If you turn on Attach at the bottom right and then use the move node tool to marry up the corner ends, then hide everything else and use Line to path in the Fractalize right click menu on each whole entity (the outer wall of the buildings and the linking wall separately) that should cure the broken corners.

• @Loopysue Hey thanks for the reply. I can't seem to find a move node tool. I tried doing what you suggested using the edit node tool instead, and it doesn't seem to help.

edited March 2021

Yes, Node edit, to give it the proper name. I just think of it as the one that lets you move nodes :)

You use that to make sure the ends are perfectly matched by moving them to each other while the Attach button is active.

That in itself won't cure the problem. You then have to hide everything but the walls and right click Fractalise to get to the Line to path tool. Then use that to convert all the exterior walls in the building to paths (an entire building in one go). That will cause the lines to join up into one path and heal the corners. But it only works if those ends are perfectly aligned.

• When I did it, it turned the walls into lines, so I assumed I was doing the wrong thing. I ended up making a second walls sheet and just tracing the whole building in one go, which worked fine. But just so I know how it works, do you then change it back using the change like draw tool?

I am not sure I fully understand what you mean about changing it all into lines.

If you mean that it turned everything into zero width lines, then using Change Properties to give them back their line width should have worked fine.

Anyway! I'm glad you got it all sorted out :)

Autumn Getty
  • 14 days later
  • edited March 2021

Work on the manor continues. I had to redo the upper level thanks to messing up the walls, though I think it looks better now.

Loopysue[Deleted User]

Looking good :)

Do you know that you can align the floorboard fills in those rooms that aren't perfectly aligned with the usual compass directions using Shaded Polygon (Angle by Edge) from the right click menu on the Polygon drawing tool on the right? (providing that floor isn't all one polygon). You get the tool and click the long side of the floor with it and the fill is instantly aligned to that edge.

The tool was originally intended as a roof shading tool, so each one of the floors now has a pitch like a roof. That is why they will have gone darker or lighter than they should be. Then when they are all aligned you type EDITSHADING, and pick them one by one and check the little box where it says "Shade only copy" and they will lie flat again.

DoubleDoubleJimP
  • I always set the pitch of any shaded polygons I use for angled bitmap fills of flooring or walls to zero even if that has no effect when "Shade Only Copy" is on. (It's the truth after all.) Someday I'd really like to see a definitive explanation of every field and checkbox on that dialog and how they can be used to affect the image presented.

I don't know what any of those other attributes are myself.

The reason I tend to use the shade only copy option is because I have found that if you set the pitch to zero you seem to end up with something that is much brighter than it should be, like the glare of a full sun on a flat roof of the material.

• @Loopysue Hey thanks for showing me how to do this. Submission is only a few days away so I'm hoping I have time to do this. I was wondering if there was some way to change the orientation of some of the rooms. I'd have to wipe out the floor that is there now, but it would be worth it.

Loopysue

Once a polygon is shaded you can rotate it intact. the shading will stay aligned to that side of the polygon. Try it and see.

DoubleDoubleAutumn Getty
  • So sadly I didn't have time to play around with the stuff Sue was mentioning, as I had to do a few other things for the project as well. Here is the map I submitted:

Loopysue[Deleted User]BlackYeti