The 'No Ducks' version 1 dungeon

Edit: I forgot to mention these No Ducks dungeons are basically revamps of B1, from TSR.

Maybe I shouldn't try to come up with a dungeon name late at night. But there aren't any ducks in this dungeon. Really. It isn't complete, but I decided to share. Maybe with the idea of getting a laugh.

Oh, this is a maybe partial revamp of B1 Quasqueton. This is from the Watabou random dungeon generation page, two maps inserted and used as a mapping guide.

I noticed, finally, that save as png leaves the text. But if you export as png from Watabou, the text goes away, and the area outside the dungeon becomes transparent which makes it easier to line up with the loaded template.

Rooms 2 and 5, the blue items are ghostly figures. Probably haunting the dungeon.

Room 9, topiary: 2 deer and one griffon. Touching might activate them. ( CSUAC)

Room 12: That is one huge portcullis. Probably not a detriment to small and man sized beings; however, going through it without raising it just might be dangerous.

edit: there is a 2000 pixel jpg in my gallery.

[Deleted User]MonsenLoopysueRaikoDaishoChikara

Comments

• In appreciation of your 'No Ducks':
    1) I think I've seen this place in the hills outside Corvallis. After it was cleared out by Adventurers, it was turned into a Hall and some dorms.
    2) So let's say you come out of this dungeon and you find yourself up on a mountain. And it's cold, and you're hungry and it's starting to get dark, so you want to get down off the mountain. Well you can't. You don't get down off a mountain, you get down off a duck. Of which you have none.
    ba-dum-ching!
    [Deleted User]
  • 25 days later
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited December 2020

edit: Before I forget... Dec 7 through Dec 15, 2020 I'll be busy and likely not logging in much.

Here it is, completed. I may or may not add another level 2 or later on.

Room dimensions estimated by eye.

If anyone wants to use this in their game sessions, please free to do so.

No Ducks 1

1) Entrance: 50' x 50' x 15' + 55' x 95'

Stairs down: slope is 23.2 degrees.

3 bugbears behind a wooden wagon. Two oil lamps on wall to left and right. Three small piles of broken rocks.

Doors on North side are open. Open doorway leads to room 6 which has 2 giant beetles. The bugbears are trying to keep the beetles in that room. The wooden door into room 6 bears the scares of mandibles trying to open it.

Short passageway leads to a blank wall. Two foot gap between that and the wall into room 5. Digging need to breach the gap. Noisy digging.

Secret passage way to room 11, requires digging to cross the 2 foot gap.

2) 52' x 51' x 12'

2 ghostly tables, and 3 ghostly chairs.

A regular desk, and 3 desks with storage shelves. And maybe one or two of them have a secret drawer.

3) 32' x 70' x 15'

2 giant ants and a bull. They are intently watching the entrance open doorway.

Rocks, fungi. An obvious trap door in front of one giant ant. Wood debris in front of the other one.

4) 32' x 27' x 9'

Hidden behind a 4' thick wall.

Two open pit traps with spikes. Two open pits without spikes.

Three small chests.

5) storage, former bar. 41' x 47' x 12' ghostly bar and cabinet ( the blue items) Drink orders can be filled, but it could be very dangerous to drink them.

2 chests. 4 sealed jars.

On the table are 3 green glowing bottles, and 3 flasks.

6) storage: 33' x 33' x 12' 2 giant beetles. 5 square crates. 2 rectangular crates.

7) 30' x 33' x 15'

The topiary will say, via magic mouth recording, 'Roar, I say Roar' when any being arrives into the room.

If anyone attacks, pets, etc. the topiary it will attack as a 2 hit dice monster doing 1d4 damage per attack which is done by brances and leaves smothering.

-> The areas on the east side of room 7 that look hollow could have something in them.

2 small wooden crates

The ceiling glows like ordinary sunlight.

8) 45' x 45' x 12'

Four hungry beetles.

Trapdoor leading into a small 3' x 3' room, 5' deep.

9) 43' x 45' x 15'

The topiaries in this room do a song and dance when any being enters the room.

The berries on the trees look delicious. They are poisonous, easy save.

The ceiling glows like ordinary sunlight.

Stepping on the cracks could lead to a fall.

10) 25' x 30' x 8'

medallion engraved into the floor.

11) 28' x 27' x 7'

Floor grate and a pile of coins.

Or is an illusion, and the coins are really under the grate ?

12) 40' circular room, 12' high.

The large portcullis will only stop humans from entering.

Two braziers in the room. Inspection shows they likely can only burn for 3 hours. There is air flow up through the celing.

13) hidden behind the brazier, secret door.

37' x 25' x 10'

11 skeletons apparently guarding 3 floor grates.

There might be some treasure below the grates.

14) 30' circle, 15' high.

Two braziers, venting out the ceiling. A small pool, 20 feet deep. There might be something in the water.

15) 30' x 7' high.

5 giant rats. And a brazier. Small trap door in the ceiling for food drops to them, the food is late.

900 pixel jpg. 200 pixel jpg in my gallery.

LoopysueMonsenDaltonSpence[Deleted User]DaishoChikara
  • 3 months later
  • Had to add a bit more.

Medallion on the floor of room 2. Does it lead to the identical medallion on the floor between rooms 16 and 17 ? Or is it a trap ? And room 18, is it a trap with hidden pits ? Does the medallion lead a character safely to the other one, if they know the secret word ?

Look at all that treasure in 16 and 17 ! Or are they illusions ?

900 pixel jpg, 200 pixel in gallery.

MonsenLoopysue
  • @Monsen If these 3 maps can be used in the Atlas, just let me know and I'll make a surface map to go with each one.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Almost any dungeon map can be used in the atlas, especially if you make surface maps. The main difficulty for putting a dungeon in the atlas is that there aren't any surface locations to use as a linking point (not everyone is good at putting points of interests in their maps). But when you make the surface maps too, it is no problem whatsoever. Just find appropriate locations for them.

• Thanks. I'm a bit busy this week. But if anyone has suggestions, I'll look them over.

• 1 month later
  • Moved the numbers out of the floorplan in this one as well.

900 pixel jpg. and gallery.

[Deleted User]Loopysue
  • 1 month later
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited May 2021

I have finalized this one. This version will eventually go up on my web site, but I give you first use. I have added much more text than the version I'll be submitting to the Atlas.

No Ducks 1, 900 pixel, 2000 pixel in my gallery.

1) 105' x 50' x 10' + 55' x 45' x 12' Entrance room.

3 ogres have taken up residence. They are behind a broken wagon and some lumber.

Rock debris on the floor. 4 torches on the walls.7 broken tables, this must have been where the original inhabitants met newcomers.

A small chest in the corner. Locked, the ogres haven't noticed it behind the debris because various animals and monsters keep wandering in to see if the place is inhabited.

50 gold pieces, 65 silver pieces.

Secret door on east side. Push on the left side of it to open it.

Lots of noise will attract the 2 giant beetles in room 6.

2) 50' x 52' x 15'

Two toilets behind curtains.

Two ghostly tables and 3 ghostly chairs. The three bottles on the one table are real.

Green liquid cure light, one time.

Orange liquid, gives a fighter +2 to hit for one combat

Blue liquid, gives drinker a blue glow for one game hour.

Round Mosaic is cut into the floor. Anyone standing on it will cause it to rotate slightly, then the secret door opens.

Two of the brown and green storage cabinets have a few silver and copper coins in them. The other has a flint dagger +1.

Door on the west wall, has a pull handle on the right side.

3) 30' x 70' x 12'

Two mold areas. 5 rock debris piles fallen from the ceiling.

Two moldy giant ants. One is behind a cage with a trap door under it. The trap door leads to a small 10' x 10' x 5' deep hole. Currently empty.

The greenish cow is friendly, but will attack if attacked.

4) 35' x 28' x 10' To enter, characters must finish digging the passageway into this room.

2 open pits with spikes. 2 open pits with no spikes. Two cages. A ghostly chair. The character that drank the earlier blue liquid can sit in it and relax. other characters will receive an electric shock, but only take one hit of damage.

a) locked, contains 75 gold, 120 silver, two 100 gp gems.

b) empty

c) contains a short sword +1, a ring of water walking, 250 gold

5) 38' x 46' x 15'

A ghostly bar and a ghostly pantry/food storage shelving.

Two chests on west wall.

One has 25 gold, 65 silver, 81 copper pieces.

Two has 33 gold, and a scroll of Protection from Undead.

One amphora has a small amount of clean water in it about a liter/quart, the rest are empty.

The table has 6 bottles on it. They could be potion bottles or just empty.

6) 35' x 34' x 15'

Three skeletons, food for the beetles.

2 large beetles. If they hear loud noises in room 1, they will break the wooden door and attack. They are just as likely to attack the ogres as adventurers. They are getting hungry.

one of the chests on the east wall has 6 gold, 25 silver, and 100 copper pieces, the rest are empty. All are locked.

The two crates along the south wall are unlocked and empty. Easy to use and carry, wooden handles on both ends.

7) 30' x 31' x 10'

A topiary carved to look like a dragon. A slight wind comes from around it, sounding like a sigh.

Two wooden crates. One has a long sword and the other has a foot mace. While they detect as magic, they aren't magical.

8) 46' x 46' x 10'

4 giant beetles.

7 bones of orcs.

Pit in the northeast corner. Lets into a small 10' x 10' x 10' room. Contains a small dagger +1 and 25 silver pieces.

9) 45' x 45' x 10'

A topiary carved to look like a dragon. Doesn't move.

behind the partition are 2 deer like topiary.

A gargoyle is near them. It will try to pretend to be a topiary, but it is dark blue rather than green. It really just wants to leave, but if attacked it will defend itself.

cracks in floor. 15% chance for anyone/any being stepping on them to lose their footing and fall down.

Secret door east side: push down, it will slide down into the floor.

10) 27' x 25' x 10'

The mosaic will squeak, like there is metal something under it, but it is only a programmed illusional sound.

11) 25' x 25' x 10'

A grate with no visible trap or pit under it.

A cage with 4 partially eaten apples inside. No lock on the door. A druid or ranger might realize it held a gargoyle at one time.

Two small leather bags. Small amounts of low value coins. About 1 gold piece equivalent total.

12) 36' circular room x 20' high.

Portcullis, controlled by the ogre.

Ogre was told to guard the room. He eventually checked the room and found nothing of value. So he doesn't trust anyone who put him here to guard. May, or may not, be open to negotiation.

Two braziers. The south one blocks access to a secret door. Moving it will cause the secret door to slide into the wall sideways.

13) 36' x 25' x 10'

10 skeletons, cannot be turned by a first level cleric. They are wearing medallions that will block that attempt.

3 grates, nothing under them.

small pile of bags and coins southwest corner.

250 copper pieces, twenty-three 50 gp gems, 43 gold and 68 silver pieces. One ring of fire resistance.

14) 30' circular room, 30' high.

Two braziers and a pool of greenish water.

All 3 detect as magic, but nothing happens no matter what the characters do to them.

Time and spell waster.

15) 30' circular room x 10' high.

5 giant rats in a time stasis. One brazier. No treasure. entering the room breaks the stasis.

16) 17' x 28' x 10'

each chest as roll 1d4 1) no treasure 2) 50 gp 3) 50 silver 4) 50 copper pieces.

17) 17' x 28' x 10'

One crate contains 23 gold, and 50 copper pieces.

The two piles of coins are stuck together. And worth about 15 gold pieces each pile. Most merchants and money changers will refuse them unless broken up into useful bits. Melting will just mix the metals together. They are mostly copper.

18) an L-shaped room. About 8 feet to dig into rooms 6 and 17 entrance area where the mosaic is located.

Any character that stands on the mosaic between room 16 and room 17 will feel dizzy for 2 game turns ( 20 game minutes )

19) 42' x 48' x 10'

3 ghouls. One out in the open, the other 2 behind pillars.

4 remains of previous victims.

a bubbling pool of deep blue liquid. If drunk, 5% chance one random stat of 1d4 characters that drink, will go up +1 or down -1.

20) 37' x 8' x 8'

To continue on into room 10, digging will be needed. East wall sounds hollow if tapping is done on it.

21) 7' x 33' x 10' Tapping on the south wall, a hollow sound. 2 to 3 feet of digging to reach room 22.

22) 8' x 12' x 10' a small alcove to room 5. Dusty. No footprints.

23) 30' x 8' x 8' Door into room 3 push plate on the left side.

Tapping on the west wall will sound hollow.

24) a room with secret doors at both ends.

blood splotches on the floor.

Push up on either secret door and it will slide up into the ceiling.

That is it.

Strange, unable to add a graphic. Now I can add a graphic. Only the emoji and the embed was available, now all 4 options are there. I had to exit this post, then go elsewhere around the forum, then come back and they were there.

edit: corrected some typos and added some text.

I'll post no ducks 2 and 3 later on.

LoopysueDaltonSpenceMonsen
  • All 3 are now available on my web site. Each one is on a separate page, with the map, text, and a zip file containing a 2000 pixel png map and the associated text.

The What is New ? page has a link to all 3 for May 25, 2021. And if you search the site for 'No Ducks' the 3 will show up in the search. Each page has a small menu at the top of each of those 3 pages, just above the text for each dungeon not in the main menu, that links to all 3 pages.