Bright outside and dark rooms

Hi everyone!

Does anyone know a way to keep the outside of a building in bright light using global illumination while keep the inside in darkness so we can use additional light sources to create a more realistic approach? In the map I previously shared (https://forum.profantasy.com/discussion/comment/97740), the building has no windows, so it would be nice to keep the inside just illuminated by torches or other inside sources of light.

I have played around with the light effects usually used for the night version of the maps and I couldn't figure out a solution. Treat all the map as night and add multiple light sources in the outside to simulate day came to bad results as I got many shadows in multiple directions.

I have checked the Tome, live mapping videos, forum and blog posts and couldn't find any clue for this puzzle.

Thanks!

Comments

• FersusFersus Traveler

I had the same problem with my Post Station (https://forum.profantasy.com/discussion/10984/wip-post-station). With the addition, that I wanted to have light come in through the windows and brighten up the shadow inside the Rooms.

If you don't want to read through the whole thread, I can give you the tl;dr-version:

keep the global sunlight, don't use the point light option (apparently those two don't mix). Make a "Shadow" Sheet, draw the shadows from the rooms by yourself and use color key to cut through the shadow wherever you want to have a light.

Hope that helps!

efenord
  • efenordefenord Newcomer

@Fersus , I think I got a good result with a different approach. I combined the global illumination with light points and to achieve what I expected I moved the environment sheets (outside, background, tree and bush symbols...) to over the building sheets and applied a Point Light Finalize in the Wall sheet. Take a look by yourself and let me know your thoughts.

• FersusFersus Traveler

Wow, that turned out great! I'll definitely check it out on the weekend!

efenordjslayton
  • LoopysueLoopysue 🖼️ 24 images Cartographer ProFantasy

Great maps. Maybe show them as images so everyone can see?

efenord
  • efenordefenord Newcomer

As requested. 😉

LoopysueQuentenFersusDaltonSpenceJimP
  • LoopysueLoopysue 🖼️ 24 images Cartographer ProFantasy

Thank you :)