Map occasionally doesn't load.

So occasionally I'm opening up a map and the only window is completely minimized inside the editor; when I expand the window to the screen extents, it is completely white and performing a Zoom Extents doesn't show the map at all.

When this happens, what looks like a coordinate display in the upper left corner (under the file menu) displays T:NAN,NAN (presumably a pair of No A Number errors). Restarting and reopening the map then either repeats this, or sometimes will show a crazy coordinate pair in the hundreds of thousands. Eventually, after restarting CC3+ several times (and it sometimes hitting a CtD), this goes away and I can see my map again the next time I open it.

Is this something folks have seen before? Other maps still open fine when this happens so it makes me think my map has some corruption in it. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot? It's quite heart-attack inducing.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Not something I've seen before. Usually, the map either works, or it don't, I've never seen multiple tries make a difference, that reminds me more of things like bad RAM.

Zooming problems giving invalid coordinates are usually caused by a corrupt entity in the map. Usually, you can get back to a reasonable zoom level by using View --> Zooms --> To All Text instead of using zoom extents, but that's just a workaround, to fix it, the offending entity must be found. I usually search for it by hiding sheets and executing a zoom extents until I've found the sheet with the offending entity, and then move entities off that sheet until I've isolated the entity. Do note that when using that method, the map must start at a "normal" zoom level every time before hitting Zoom Extents and observe the result, you can't start the test from the NaN view...

• How do you tell if an entity is invalid? Would you see the dreaded "red X box" or would there be some other indication?

I'll try the To All Text zoom if I see this again.

Thanks.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Very often the coordinates (as shown in List) will be weird. Otherwise, it is just the process of elimination; for example, if things work when that entity is (alone) on a hidden sheet, but not when the sheet is shown, you know there to be an issue with it.

• Don't know if this is the same problem, but I get that to. Some large maps, or with lots of symbols, I get a 'not responding' for a minute, or several minutes. After 5 minutes I tend to give up. Probably my computer.