The 'No Ducks' version 2 dungeon

Edit: I forgot to mention these No Ducks dungeons are basically revamps of B1, from TSR.

Larger, 800' x 480'. Squares are 10' x 10'. A ways to go on this one. Rooms lower right are 3 guest rooms, and dining room just above them on the right. Upper right are the bedroom and wizard lab of the owner.

The cave with water and sinkhole may be more to it than at first glance. No effects yet.

900 pixel jpg

LoopysueRaikoDaishoChikara

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Is that size map playable on a VTT? I imagine that size is a bit limited by the file size. What resolution would you print it at?

• Depends on the VTT. Roll20 for example has a standard grid of 70px per (5ft) square, as JimP's are 10ft, he would need to save the file as a jpeg at 11200x6720 (140px per square), he could also halve it and set Roll20's grid to 35px per square. It's been awhile since I used Maptools and I've not used Fantasy Grounds or Foundry so no idea what their recommended sizes are.

Loopysue
  • I use epic table which suggests 2000 pixel maps.

However, these are just going up on my website as d&d basic/expert dungeons.

Loopysue
  • 14 days later
  • Updated map, Nov 26, 2020. 900 pixel jpg

Yes, there are 3 skeletons, three cows, and a pig in the dining room. Whom is protecting whom I leave up to you.

[Deleted User]DaishoChikaraLoopysueDaltonSpenceWyvern
  • Foundry doesn't actually list a maximum size, and while their default grid size is 100px, it's configurable to larger than that, and as small as 50px. It's actually VERY good at using very large maps, full of light walls and such.

Great map Jim! I have read that module many times, but never managed to play it as yet.

• Thanks.

B1 always bothered me due to the thin walls between some rooms. Not really defensible. An attacker, or the adventurers, could just break through.

DaishoChikara
  • Adamantine walls, maybe? ?

Less sure about the vicious cows with their pig leader, after their long-pig repast...

• There are several revamps of B1 that keep the same rooms, but they are more spread out so the passageways and rooms don't touch each other and a breakthrough requires noisy digging of 10 feet or more.

I always considered them to be stone walls.

My home players said knocking through the thin walls would be too noisy. Apparently none of the game store players thought of it, at least they didn't say anything out loud.

• I think you should be able to revamp it with whatever renovations make it work for you. The simple reason for the thin walls originally is that Gygax and co at the time drew all their maps on graph paper, so they were limited to 8.5" x 11" pages. Sometimes they'd tape two or more together, but often the maps in the early modules are a product of working on a single page, and trying to "fill" the space well.

Also, remember Gary never thought any DM would BUY adventures. It took other people convincing him... ;-)

• I have heard some of that, but time for Above and Beyond ! Or dancing in the asteroid belt. Whichever is easier.

• 6 days later
  • Here is an update on No Ducks version 2. Added several puzzle passageways, and some rooms. The circular room with spiral stairs leads up into the observation tower.

900 pixel jpg larger jpg in my gallery.

LoopysueDaltonSpence
  • 3 months later
  • Numbered the rooms, fixed one of the corridors going into room 3A.

This could be run as still having people living here, or it is abandoned.

900 pixel jpg, 2000 in gallery.

Monsen[Deleted User]LoopysueDaltonSpence
  • 1 month later
  • Moved the numbers out of the rooms, so players don't get a hint where their characters are. Also secret doors aren't marked with a big S. Easier to deal with using a VTT.

900 pixel jpg, 2000 in gallery.

Loopysue
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited April 2021

Easier to deal with using a VTT.

Shouldn't really be a major concerns for CC3+ users though. This was one of the reasons when i started the Community Atlas that it was very important for me that it was a CC3+ based atlas, and not just images linked in some other fancy campaign builder program, was with the .fcw files available, people could export exactly what they needed for their purpose, grids, numbers, labels, secrets.....

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited April 2021

The one I use, Epic Table, can use graphics that are my typical use size, 2000 pixels. Others use more room battlemaps half that or smaller.

I was more referring to fog of war. Can't hide room number if they are in the room. Well, there might be, but I have no idea how. Many of my older maps, I was the only one who looked at them, so I could put notes, a big S for Secret, etc. all over the maps. I used pasteboard, I guess it could be called thin cardboard, for floor tiles.

I still find myself making mistakes due to making maps that I subconciously remember only me being able to see. Then I move things out of the rooms that don't belong there, like that huge letter S for Secret.

I'm getting there.

I'm thinking about using my older computer I just moved everything from, as my VTT computer. And maybe my ham radio logging computer to. Have to remember to check it for insects after I bring it in from my shed.

edit: Sigh, my brain seems to have wandered off into write a novel mode. See you all in a day or so.

• 1 month later
  • Crikey. I started typing up the room for this dungeon, and I remembered already doing that, but when. Then I realized that The Craig The Former Cave Inn is very close to this dungeon. Sigh, onward.

• Still in progress. I'll be putting a barrel of apricots in this dungeon, and there are ogres.

When I first got started, there was a smell of apricots just outside a room my players' characters encountered some ogres. In later dungeons I placed a barrel of apricots, but no ogres. Other times there were ogres, but no apricots.

My players became wary after finding apricots the second time.

• here we go.

No Ducks dungeon 2. 900 pixels, 2000 pixels in gallery.

1) 70' x 30' x 10' Entrance room. 5 wooden chairs, a rug, 2 wood benches, 2 cauldrons.

Move the right hand cauldron to get to the secret door. To open the secret door, push on the wall and it will slide into the floor.

2) 30' x 50' x 10' Museum. Most items are gone. A moldy former fish tank on the south wall.

A cabinet on the north wall. The brazier has coals burning in it.

Broken tables and wood debris.

3) a cave about 200' x about 100' x 15' high in the center.

Rock debris. Deep water pond. Apparently nothing in the water, but there could be.

3A) a side cave. About 35' x 80' x 10'

Empty of all but dust.

4) Guest room. 40' x 30' x 10' Looks freshly furnished. A bed, rug, bath tub, jake, a dressing table. Two storage cabinets. Debris of wood, cloth, a wood bowl, and a skeleton. No chairs.

5) Guest room. 40' x 30' x 6' Bed, rug, fireplace, curtains, jake and chair, wood debris, a dressing table and a chair. The fireplace is warm to the touch, but any ashes and wood have apparently been removed.

6) Guest room. 40' x 30' x 20' Looks freshly furnished. Bed, rug, dressing table and chair, fireplace. Wood debris with skeleton and some cloth.

7) Guest room. 20' x 40' x 10' Looks freshly furnished. Jake and rug out in the open. The curtain looks like it has been moved to its current location. A bed and 3 boxes.

8) Dinning Room. Circular 72' x 20' The three bulls and three skeletons, along with a small pig. The pig is the most dangerous, and most hungry. There were four bulls. Chairs without tables, and four tables with 6 chairs each. A smaller table with three chairs. Secret door to the west, push up to open.

9) linen closet. 30' x 50' x 10' Eight storage cabinets with rotted sheets and rotted pillow cases in them. A smal lpile of wood debris. Three spear boxes with spears in them. The secret door hides a short passage with a chest in it. Push down to open the secret door from this room. The hallway doesn't go into this small passageway, but it will sound hollow when the wall is tapped.

10) kitchen. 50' x 100' x 15' Two burners, one has had something awful smelling cooked on it recently. Two food preparation benches and various kitchen knives and other tools. Two storage cabinets on the west side. Six small tables scattered about the room.

11) Armorer's room. 30' x 40' x 10' with a hole in the ceiling. A burner with a pile of coal. Two cheaply made tar and wood storage boxes.

12) Storage. 30' x 30' x 10' Three chairs and six chests. The chests are empty.

13) Unknown purpose. 30' x 30' x 10' Wood debris. Small wood worms, wont attack, in the wood.

14) Unknown purpose. Could have been a guard room at one time. A skeleton and blood splotches.

Secret door east side. Anyone touch the walls, it will open.

15) Possible store room. 40' x 40' x 10' Red brick floor. Wood debris. A broken crate. Nine small crates.

Two of the small crates have 10 or 20 copper pieces. One of the others has a 75 gp gem in it. The rest are empty.

16) Storage. 40' x 30' x 10' brick floor. Some bricks might be loose. Nine boxes.

Two boxes have rotted clothing. One large box has a small pouch which contains a ring of fire resistance and 23 gold pieces.

17) Odd-shaped room.

3 bugbears hiding behind a curtain. Armed with spears.

A blue glowing skull is on the floor near the entrance lobby.

A torch lights up the broom.

17A) 30' x 30' x 15' a smaller torch.

A chest, locked, a few copper pieces. False bottom contains 55 gold pieces, 15 silver pieces.

Chest in the upper right corner contains a small shield +1. Locked.

18) Barracks for the guards. Too far away to protect the entrance. Seven beds and rugs. Seven storage cabinets. Debris with possible former guards under the piles. A few copper pieces and silver pieces scattered about the bunks.

19) Weapons storage. 30' x 30' x 10' Mostly empty boxes, but there are a few swords and spears here. Four chairs. And a torch that is about to go out. One of the spears, a 6' one is +2, the rest are ordinary.

20) Treasury. 80' x 50' x 10' Where the guest payments were kept. This room is behind several secret doors and passageways.

Chest: 190 gold pieces, 15 platinum, 150 copper.

A) Chest: Leather armor +1, 30 silver pieces.

B) Chest: chain +1, shield +1, 95 copper pieces

C) Barrel: a mix of coins, under some apricots. 5 gold pieces, 60 silver, 100 copper pieces.

The rest are empty.

21) 70' x 40' x 10' a minotaur has been tasked to guard the two chests.

One chest has 500 copper pieces.

The other has 360 copper pieces.

22) Circular room. 40' x 10' wood debris.

23) Storage. 20' x 30' x 10' wood debris.

24) 30' x 10' x 8' Storage room. dusty and wood debris.

25) 30' x 10' x 12' Storage room. a corpse, and dust with a few spider webs.

26) 20' x 10' x 20' Storage room. empty of all but dust. Scratches on the floor, like something heavy was dragged across it.

27) 20' x 10' x 10' Storage room. empty of all but dust. Has an odd smell to it. Not rotted, but close to it.

28) Hidden passageway. Secret doors require any adventurer's touch, but not by a human.

The chest contains a long sword +1, and a few copper pieces.

29) a short room. 30' x 10' x 10' full of dust and small spiders with their webs.

That is all.

DaltonSpence