Supplemental to Humble Bundle

PunchPunch Newcomer
edited October 2020 in Product Questions

Hi all!

As many other haves, I first grabbed CC3+ with the Humble Bundle not so long ago and was wondering if any of the (paid) add-ons/packs not included in the bundle are highly recommended or outright necessary for robust mapping, specifically for fantasy-themed overland, dungeon and city maps?

Thanks!

edit: The bundle included the following

Battle Map and Floorplan Collection

Campaign Cartographer 3 Plus

City Designer 3

Dungeon Designer 3

Perspectives 3

Source Maps: Castles!

Source Maps: Temples, Tombs...!

Symbol Set 2 v3 - Floorplans

Token Treasury - Monsters

Tome of Ultimate Mapping v3 Plus

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

The Humble Bundle setup is a very good starting point, giving you everything you really need.

But if you want to expand the styles you have available to you, Symbol Set 4 and 5 offers a very nice dungeon and city style. Symbol set 1 is also nice for additional overland styles.

And you can get tons of new styles through the annuals. I love the annuals for their diversity.

Punch
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Hi Punch :)

You seem to have quite a solid toolbox kit there. I hadn't realised quite how much of a good deal the last bundle really was!

The remaining stuff is mainly the annuals, which are sets of styles and tools or tutorials issued once a month and bundled into a year each year.

If you want to have some idea of what there is in the annuals you could use this thread here, where I created a wall of links to all the issues in one place.

https://forum.profantasy.com/discussion/10366/cartographers-annual-all-the-issues-linked-in-one-place

If you like one of the issues you have to buy that year's annual, since the issues are not sold separately.

Punch
  • PunchPunch Newcomer

Thank you both Morsen and Loopysue!

I was definitely eyeballing the Symbol Set for Fantasy Overland. I found the Annual stuff a bit confusing to understand what I would be getting into, but you two definitely cleared that up quickly and registered for 2020!

I saw the City Cliffs one and just had to grab it, that's some darn fine work, Loopysue!

Thanks again to both of you!

Oh! I tried to grab the annual free sample bundle thing but clicking the link doesn't seem to do anything. Is there an alternate method?

Loopysue
    edited October 2020

Which link would that be? I just tested the link in the free symbols thread here in the forum and it works (taking you to the download page) and then the actual download link on that page, also working fine.

• 8 days later
  • PunchPunch Newcomer

My apologies for not following up!

This link here that says "Download the Free Annual Sampler"

When I click on it, nothing happens. I even made sure I don't have pop-ups blocked.

That's really strange. It worked for me just now. I will say that it took a few seconds to wake up and respond, but I guess that my download manager was doing a load of handshaking stuff with the host. The file is 1.87GB. That's fairly large because of the graphics it contains.

What browser are you using. Mine is Edge, and I'm actually using IDM (Internet Download Manager) which speeds things up considerably.

Punch

Works perfectly fine for me too. And I checked the source code of the website, the link is as a plain standard link as they gets, no fancy javascript or popups or confirmations or anything weird that could potentially fail, it is just a link straight to the file.

I would recommend you try a different browser.

Punch
  • PunchPunch Newcomer

Well, MS Edge worked right away. Been using Chrome for so long, just never really considered other browsers, hah!

Thanks again!

Loopysue
  • Interesting. Just checked with Chrome myself, and although the link doesn't work if you click it directly, if you right click while hovering the cursor over the link, and then click Open link in new tab, it works fine.

Loopysue
  • I'm not too surprised. We were required to use a particular browser at one job, and it wouldn't work on several required sites we had to access often. Took some work to convince the higher ups. Somewhat of a non-sequiter, but then again not all browsers handle pages the same way.

Punch

Edge is a power hungry tool that drains a good proportion of RAM, but it does seem to have the best record overall. Apart from it's power-guzzling nature it's not let me down so far.

Punch
  • Still haven't tried Edge since it appeared in one of the all-too-frequent "Windows improvements" recently. I think the only prior difficulty I had with Chrome was on my ISP's site, which apparently - and incredibly - still uses Flash Player for part of their system. Hardly Chrome's fault of course. Stunningly, my ISP wasn't aware that support for Flash Player ends this December, yet they still haven't updated that part of their site...

[Deleted User]LoopysuePunch
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker

Thanks for flagging this up., Chrome recently changed their policy and it now automatically blocks download links to a http address if you are coming from an https site. We already updated the links on the registration page, but not here on the public Annual page. I've done so now and the link should work on Chrome again now.

LoopysueJimPWyvernPunchjmabbott
  • 15 days later
  • Browsers are strange beasts. I used to use Chrome but have now switched to Firefox, Roll20 runs much better on it. For my other browsing it hardly made a difference.

• I know there are browser standard features, but some browser authors ignore them. Sigh.