FT3 to CC3 export

I have both FT3 and CC3, but when I try to export a world from FT3 to CC3, I am stuck with climate/contour etc.... How can I export the exact image on my FT3 screen to CC3? I can't find an export setting that gives me that exact image.

Best Answer

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Accepted Answer

This comes up a lot when people first use FT3 to generate maps for CC3.

The thing you see in FT3 is a heightmap with a smooth transition between all the thousands of individual data points describing your world.

CC3 cannot yet express heightmaps as anything other than a bitmap image exported from FT3 and imported as that same a bitmap to CC3. Here are two example extracts of CC3 maps generated in FT3 and processed in two different ways, taken from the 2019 Cartographer's Annual November issue (CA155).

https://www.profantasy.com/annual/2019/2019-cartographers-annual.html#November

This first one is a contour map.

While this second one is the same extract using a bitmap background.

Both these maps have been taken through a step by step erosion process described in the above mentioned annual using a free app called Wilbur, which you can download and install here...

...and have colour schemes provided in the annual.

So to summarise there are 2 ways of getting a similar result to that seen in FT3. The first example is done by contours and self contained, and the second example is a bitmap image background that requires you to keep the bitmap in the same folder as the CC3 map that uses it.

deMendoza

Answers

Accepted Answer

This comes up a lot when people first use FT3 to generate maps for CC3.

The thing you see in FT3 is a heightmap with a smooth transition between all the thousands of individual data points describing your world.

CC3 cannot yet express heightmaps as anything other than a bitmap image exported from FT3 and imported as that same a bitmap to CC3. Here are two example extracts of CC3 maps generated in FT3 and processed in two different ways, taken from the 2019 Cartographer's Annual November issue (CA155).

https://www.profantasy.com/annual/2019/2019-cartographers-annual.html#November

This first one is a contour map.

While this second one is the same extract using a bitmap background.

Both these maps have been taken through a step by step erosion process described in the above mentioned annual using a free app called Wilbur, which you can download and install here...

...and have colour schemes provided in the annual.

So to summarise there are 2 ways of getting a similar result to that seen in FT3. The first example is done by contours and self contained, and the second example is a bitmap image background that requires you to keep the bitmap in the same folder as the CC3 map that uses it.

deMendoza
    edited October 2020

You're welcome :)

What I described is only a very general summary. Both these processes are described in the annual in far greater detail as two separate 20+ page illustrated mapping guides.

deMendoza
  • I'm in a bit of a hurry (game tonight), so I saved a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE bmp for now and it works like a charm. When I have more time, I'll check out the other method as well. Thank you so so much :-) :-)

Loopysue