Marholt - png map to FT3 - a commission

I volunteered to translate a png map of a world to FT3 and the 'Wilburise' it.

First, here is the map presented:

First, as per Sue Daniel's intructions in the Supplement Guide in her astounding One Day WorldBuilder, I converted it to BMP, and made a Flat map in FT3, putting the bmp as an image overlay.

I then added continental shelves (in retrospect, not enough - point for next FT3 project).

Next step: Raising the land to roughly correspond with the land masses above. As requested, I added 2 small North polar land masses, and an Antarctica. There will be small island chains as well.

Next step (and the one in progress at present): Tidying up the land masses so coast and mountain chains correspond to the original map. Below is a completed continent, with original map underneath.

The rivers are on the map underneath, not on my efforts. I have tried to make lower contours for where most of the rivers are, but the Wilbur derived rivers will be the ones on the final map (which is OK with Rex)

To show the process, here is the last continent from the original map, about 1/4 done. It shows my original 'blob' and the tidying up in the SE corner. Next time, I will make the blob a little more closely aligned to the original map, especially the mountain chains.

The first step in the tidying is to lower the mass to coincide with the coastline (Prescale 5x5, Value 0.1), then raise coastline where it is underwater (global warming at play) - Prescale 3x3, value 0.03), the repeating with lower with Prescale 1x1, value 0.03.

Next, I change to Raise land (Prescale 5x5, value 0.05) to add the mountain contours, and lower land to get rid of excessive high contours elsewhere, Prescale 5x5, Value 0.05.

Here is the FT3 map to date. Antarctica and twin 'Greenlands' added but not tidied.

This is the very first time I have used a flat map, and thanks to Sue, the process has proved doable (albeit a tad tedious).

I will definitely use it to translate my Myirandios map to FT3.

Next step will be Wilburisation - we will see how much of the original map will remain.

Comments