Gettysburg

I am in a pause of sorts on my Covering Force Game plus Andre made some awesome palettes of 32 and 48 brown/green colors as well as two that start brown and transition to green or start green and transition to brown that I am itching to try.

After Covering Force will be a game based on Hammer's Slammers (If I ever finish CF. While I was hoping for a (2020) Christmas release, I will now just say a Christmas release and you all can guess which one, if you care to.) and I want to set it in places of historical interest (even though it occurs in the 23rd or 24th Century on different planets). One will be at the Little Bighorn and I decide another would be Gettysburg.

This is a much smaller map, only 2 1:24000 map sheets versus the 12 or so for the Little Bighorn (cause I cover the approaches) or the 9 or so 1:50000 sheets for Covering Force.

The challenge here is the 20 foot contour interval (which is why I needed the large green/brown palettes), my hand-eye coordination, and my color blindness which makes distinguishing fine color graduations difficult. Some of the contours are extremely close together. Unlike German maps, the US maps of the area do not have spot elevations and they follow the normal practice of only listing the height every fifth contour, so following intermediate contours off the map is very challenging. Therefore, instead of building the map from lower to higher, I am going the the other way, which is slower.

Anyway, here is the untouched Gettysburg map (made in 2016). They map is going to be 44 inches x 64 inches in size (yes, I size the map to the physical map I wish to produce), so there is a lack of detail. The grid squares are 1000m on each side.

And this is the map thus far. I started at the 1160 elevation on the left, then worked down to 700. Before I move to far to the 600 level, I want to complete the contours on the left side of the map, which is the next step. The Black line marks the boundary of the 700 line and I need to finish filling in to the left side of the map and the bottom left hill.

Next shows a little closer view of the left side of the map. I really like the color interplay, but it is probably too fine for easy wargaming. It may be just too bad. Hahahaha.

and then close ups of the interesting terrain features thus far.

MonsenJimPLoopysueWeathermanSwedenRaikojmabbott

Comments