Help matching image grid to CC grid

argel1200argel1200 Traveler
edited September 2020 in Community Support

I have a raster map with hexes on it and I know the scale. So I created a new document in CC with the correct dimensions. Now I'm importing the image in so I can use it to trace land features, etc. What's killing me is scaling it to fit. Usually when I try to place it or move it the image jumps around a bit unless I zoom out further. And scaling//// Oh boy. In Photoshop I can scale from the edges, so I can line up a hex and then find the worst corner and scale in. With a little trial and error I can match up the scales. But in CC, that trick doesn't work. Between that and the image jumping around, I'm having a hard time getting the raster mage scaled up to the CC grid. I notcied I can set the X and Y scale with the Numeric Edit, though I'llhave to track the aspect ration myself. Is there a way to control the placement by numbers? Or any other tips? A way to turn off whatever is causing the jumping ( I hid the border, background, screen,.... ). Or a way to show the blasted hex grid over the image while I'm trying to place it? Edit: I have Grid, Ortho, and Snap off as well (and have a 4Tracing sheet and layer to make my life easier).

Best Answers

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Accepted Answer

For scaling, I prefer non-visual scale for scenarios like this.

First measure the size of a hex in the image using Info-distance. Try to find points to make this as precise as possible. This is the source size. For my example here, let us assume this is 0.8

Now, measure the the distance on the CC3+ hex grid. Make sure to measure it in the same way, for example between two corners of the hexes. This is the destination size. For my example here, let us assume this is 1.93

Now, just right click Scale, select non-visual scale, set the origin point to somewhere. When the command line asks for the scale, simply type in source size/destination size, i.e 0.8/1.93 straight on the command line, no need to manually calculate it, and then hit enter.

You can move it with non-visual move much the same way. Just figure out how much it needs to move, and then give the distance as @distx,disty. The @-sign here refers to relative cooridnates instead of absolute ones. (Although in this case, perhaps it might be eaasier to just move them to an absolute position)

Raikoargel1200
  • argel1200argel1200 Traveler
    Accepted Answer

Took a bunch of refining but I eventually got figured out. I used a lot of 0.9995 and 1.0005's for the scale to refine it. Thanks for the help!!

Answers

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Accepted Answer

For scaling, I prefer non-visual scale for scenarios like this.

First measure the size of a hex in the image using Info-distance. Try to find points to make this as precise as possible. This is the source size. For my example here, let us assume this is 0.8

Now, measure the the distance on the CC3+ hex grid. Make sure to measure it in the same way, for example between two corners of the hexes. This is the destination size. For my example here, let us assume this is 1.93

Now, just right click Scale, select non-visual scale, set the origin point to somewhere. When the command line asks for the scale, simply type in source size/destination size, i.e 0.8/1.93 straight on the command line, no need to manually calculate it, and then hit enter.

You can move it with non-visual move much the same way. Just figure out how much it needs to move, and then give the distance as @distx,disty. The @-sign here refers to relative cooridnates instead of absolute ones. (Although in this case, perhaps it might be eaasier to just move them to an absolute position)

Raikoargel1200
  • argel1200argel1200 Traveler
    Accepted Answer

Took a bunch of refining but I eventually got figured out. I used a lot of 0.9995 and 1.0005's for the scale to refine it. Thanks for the help!!