Raised Floors

How do I create a raised floor - as in a dais? I have an area about 20 ft by 30 ft that I want to represent a dais with a throne on it, and currently, the area just looks like a different colored floor. I'd like to create an effect that gives the impression that the floor is a little bit raised above the rest of the floor.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

For this, I usually use a Bevel effect. Can also be combined with a black glow.

Make sure that the raised floor is on it's own sheet, and if you need multiple steps, each level needs to be on a sheet of it's own.

• I added a sheet and called it raised floor. Then applied Bevel effect and activated the effects to the sheet. It didn't appear to work. Maybe I am doing it wrong. I am going to attach my map.

You have a couple of issues:

• The only thing on your raised floor sheet is a thin black line. You need to put the actual floor there
    • You should move the sheet down so it comes after FLOORS in the drawing order, otherwise it will be covered by your floor
    • Your throne is on the FLOORS sheet. This becomes apparent when you move the sheet down as described above, since the throne then disappears. Move this to a different sheet, like SYMBOLS
    • Your bevel is way too large. The exact size depends on what zoom level you wish the effect to look best on. For a very close zoom, it should probably be less than 1 map unit, but if you are mainly viewing it from a bit furter away, you may need a bit more.
    • Set the bevel effect to use map units, not percentage of view (Percentage of view CAN work when just viewing the map inside CC3+, but if you are going to export it to an image that will become an issue)
    • You may wish to increase the strength of the bevel a bit.
  • How do I add the floor fill that I want to add to my raised floor sheet? Every time I go to my raised floor sheet and then select the floor tool, it puts me back onto the floor sheet. I did move the raised floor sheet down below the Floor sheet. Once I get that, I think I can apply the bevel effect.

Drawing tools select the sheet automatically to help you place things on the right sheet.

In this case, the easiest here is to just use Change Properties on it after drawing to just move it. Or, you can use the basic tools in the right hand menu instead, these don't have any smart functionality. Just manually set the fill style, and then use the Box or Polygon tool.

Mayhawk2020
  • I got it to work. Thank you. I even added an ancient boardgame to my symbol catalog and put it on a table in front of the throne. I know you guys who are masters would think this is simple stuff, but to me this is a major achievement, as I am new to electronic mapping. I would not have tried this if not for the pandemic lockdowns. Thanks again. :-D

LoopysueRaiko
    You're welcome. Happy mapping, and don't be afraid to come back for more questions or to showcase your work.
    Mayhawk2020
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

You have a gallery here to show of your images too :)

RaikoMayhawk2020