Max number of dynmic lights?

What's a reasonable number for a high end rig? I have a map with 30-40 buildings. I was goign to try and simulate light from each window (e.g. I hove the modern firehouse) and doorways, but with an eleitrical station and said firehouse, I'm already at 17 lights. At roughly 8 per building, I'm looking at 200+ lights (assuming some I can cut back on -- e.g. a barn at night probably has one light). Wondering how high some of you have pushed the dynamic lighting?

Answers

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2020

Don't think I've ever placed more than 57 lights, which is my dungeon tutorial map from the tome. You should easily be able to go far beyond that, but it will affect render times. Those light calculations to need some processing time.

As far as I know, there isn't a hard limit, but performance do enfore a soft limit.

Loopysueargel1200
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

Please don't add more than 1000 lights to a drawing, 200 effects to a single sheet, or 1000 sheets to a drawing. These aren't hard limits in CC3+, but the user interface may start to become quite unresponsive due to long redraw times (as Monsen points out). The user interface for controlling those elements is also likely to become a limiting factor with that many lights, effects, and sheets.

LoopysueRaiko[Deleted User]JimPTheschabi