Turn off shading?

Is there a way to turn off the shading in a set of symbols that are using shading maps?

What about making the shading color lighter?

I want to use Sue's cliff symbols in a map but the shading on one side of the cliffs at the angle I need them is so dark that it looks out of place on my map which is mostly light colors. I want to turn shading off or make the shaded side lighter.

I'm guessing the answer is no, but one can hope....

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

You can disable shading from Display Speed Settings, but this turns it off completely for all entities.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I guess I need to make a paler set of cliffs!

What style are you using, Shessar? I mean the main map style.

• Sue, I'm using SS5 for the map. Here's a quickie example of how it looks. The dark shading just doesn't look right with the pale colors of this style. It's okay. Not every symbol set works with every style. I'll just go back to my original plans for this map.

jmabbott
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Have you tried playing around with the sun a bit? Setting a higher inclination will reduce the relative darkening. Try 75 degrees.

Of course, this will affects the roofs in the same manner.

Shessarjmabbott
  • The darkness of the shadow of the cliffs can be set in the sheet effects with the effect Wall Shadows, Directional by setting the opacity to a low value or changing the colour from black to gray - can't it?!

Shessarjmabbott

The cliffs have map files, which are set quite dark to simulate vertical faces.

The problem here is that I designed them originally for a much darker style than Cities of Schley, and never tested them with that style.

There are more cliffs to come in the bonus issue, so I could try to do something about it there.

Shessarjmabbott
  • edited September 2020

The global sun was the answer. I increased the azimuth quite a bit and added transparency to the sheet. I will have to play with the settings a bit more but you've got me going down the right path Remy. The change in azimuth does affect the houses somewhat but is is a worthwhile compromise I think.

WeathermanSweden, it wasn't the shadows that were my problem but the actual shading of the symbols themselves. Thanks for the input though!

WeathermanSwedenjmabbottRaiko
    edited September 2020

@Shessar I just saw Ralf use an RGB Matrix Process sheet effect on the cliffs to turn them bright green on the live stream. Maybe that might help instead of having to deal with the issues that normally arise as a result of making symbols transparent?

(not turning them bright green, but using one to make them paler and more in line with Mike's colour palette)

Shessar
  • You could also put a solid white 10 or 20 over the dark cliffs (careful drawing though

• I'm still experimenting so both of your ideas will be tried. I've just added an HSL effect in addition to the global sun and transparency change and ended up with brown cliffs but had to cover the top portion of the symbols because of oddities in the color there. I'm having fun experimenting if nothing else. LOL.

I missed Ralf's session this week but intend to watch it tonight. I learn so much from his tutorials so expect to have some revelations on the RGB Matrix. It's an effect that I forget about most of the time.

LoopysueRaikoJimP
    edited September 2020

I strongly recommend deactivating everything you have on that sheet so far and trying an RGB Process Matrix. You can always turn the other stuff back on if the matrix doesn't work, or you can't get the colour right. Ralf's video showed a dramatic all-over colour change.

To make things paler add small amounts to the last column in the effect.

I recommend even more strongly, that you watch Ralf's video. He also demonstrates how to adjust the shadow length for the ends and dips really well.

ShessarRaiko
  • This was the one video that I didn't want to miss but didn't get home in time to watch live.

Actually, a few video tutorials on using some of the less talked about or more complicated effects might be nice, if ideas are needed for tutorials. ?