WIP Community Atlas Scalica on Doriant

I have made the creative decision that Scalica is Italian. Google translate gives no translation from Italian for Scalica. "Skalica" with a "k" in the second position is a town in Slovakia but Ancestry.com lists an Vitatonio Scalica. A Google search for Vitantonio finds an immigrant from Italy who started a company in Cleveland, Ohio that manufacturered pizzelle makers. So therein lies the provenance for appropriating an Italian naming scheme for Scalica.
My first attempt used the JPG image from the Atlas page. The second version is copied from the FCW drawing in the Atlas.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    May I suggest you post some images? the .fcw files are nice, but they also require the user to have the correct add-ons installed, and doesn't work very well if one aren't sitting in front of the computer with CC3+ while browsing the forum.

Is it the second version you are going with? Or haven't you decided yet since you post both?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Oh yes, please do show images as well as the FCWs. I have all the PF products, but only one of the many free third party collections.
  • john crowleyjohn crowley Traveler
    edited August 2020
    OK. So I have heard about browsing the internet from "devices" but I'm a Desktop PC guy c. 1987. And I haven't invested in any add-ons yet. But I will post JPG's and FCW's from now on.
    I haven't decided which version to go with. I'm still new to PF so as I pick up new techniques I'll go back and forth with different versions.
    LoreleiDaishoChikara
    Oh you're just a young-un here! I'm c.1966!

Lovely map, John. Thanks for sharing it :D

If you are interested in having a taster of what you can get in the Cartographer's Annuals (one type of add-on) there is a collection of free samples here:

Cartographer's Annual free samples
  • This looks really good. Is the second map complete? My only suggestion would be to add and Edge Fade to the sea contours and perhaps a bit of transparency to them as well.

Lovely map so far!

• Loopysue: C. 1966? Wow, they had Campaign Cartographer before PC's (LOL). I do have the free sampler.

Shessar: My maps are never really complete. The second version is close. I'm still working on it. I'm adding a text box to the left hand side, which is why I showed all that vacant ocean. Thnks for the suggestion. I added Edge Fade Inner to the sea contours and it looks much better, but I need to adjust the color gradation.

JimPMonsen[Deleted User]Loopysue

LOL! No I meant me. I am circa 1966 ;)

Where CC3 is concerned I'm only c 2016.

That is looking a lot better. If you want to increase the distance over which the edge is faded you need to edit the Edge Fade Inner sheet effects you just added. There's an edit button on the right once you select the effect in the Sheets and Effects dialogue.

If you mean that you want to adjust the colour generally you can add an Adjust Hue/Saturation sheet effect and edit the effect.

• Oh - I thought you typed 1966 instead of 1996. Well I'm c. 1953.

Part of my problem was I had two of four ocean depths on one sheet. I used the background for the third depth between the deepest ocean and some shallower waters of the continental shelf. It was hard to keep track of. So I changed it to 3 sheets: littoral, continental shelf and pelegial and the background as the deep ocean. Much easier to keep track of. I also changed the mountain symbols.

That's certainly changed it quite a lot :)

Are you going to put something on the left? It looks slightly empty now the sea is more one colour.

• I ran into trouble with that a lot. I put contour lines, rivers, streams and lakes, different road classes, and town centers and suburbs on different sheets.

• I'm up to 53 sheets. They don't all have data, but I started with the sheets that Hadrian VI's original map used and deleted the ones that didn't have data for my area. The left side will be (is!) a text box/legend/cartouche once I decide on the story of Scalica.

MonsenLoopysueShessarWeathermanSwedenRalfjmabbottLorelei[Deleted User]DaishoChikaraRaiko
  • Fabulous. Looking forward very much to your story.

Gorgeous map! Thank you very much for sharing it :D

edited September 2020

So this is the beginning of the history of my chunk of Nibirium. Is there any canon? I'm just hiding and showing different sheets to trace the history. But I don't want to add multiple maps to the Atlas. I would like to use hotspots to activate macros that show how the current states developed by showing different sets of sheet. Seems like a pretty straightforward operation with macros. So I wrote this MACRO, which doesn't work:

MACRO MyMacro.

SHOWSHT LAND

ENDM

I followed the directions in the tome. Tools-Macros-Load Macros which takes me to Program Data/Profantasy/MyMacros. Then type MyMacro. So what am I doing wrong?

Loopysue
  • There is no canon - just let your imagination run wild. however, anyone who does a map in the area should take note for your notes if they want to do a map note.

I'm not sure why you got rid of that lovely ocean, but its still a nice map :)

Remy Monsen is the macro genius here ;)

@john crowley wrote:

MACRO MyMacro.

SHOWSHT LAND

ENDM

I followed the directions in the tome. Tools-Macros-Load Macros which takes me to Program Data/Profantasy/MyMacros. Then type MyMacro. So what am I doing wrong?

The macro in itself should be fine, except that there shouldn't be a period after the macro name.

But you really shouldn't be using the Load Macro command, that unloads all the standard macros which is bad. If you develop a macro for personal use, put it in the main macro file (keep a copy somewhere though, an update may replace that file) and you have it always ready for use.

Of course, you cannot distribute macros this way with the community atlas. All macros need to be in hotspots embedded in the map (Tools -> Macro -> Make Hotspot). Note that these hotspots are like regular macros, but they don't have the MACRO/ENDM lines

Keep in mind that for the atlas, I prefer to keep information toggle macros in the map navbar (Which I add after receiving the map). Download the .fcw of this map in the atlas for a sample map with lots of toggles in the navbar (you may get red X'es if you don't have the right add-ons, but you should still see the navbar to the right just fine). What I need to build that is a list of the macros you need in the map. And keep in mind that each macro should be used independently and in any order, so you need to take care that each macro hides all the sheets that isn't required for that view, and show all that is.

Loopysue
    edited September 2020

To Monsen:

OK, so all I have to do is tell you what eras I want and what sheets I want to show for each "era" and you'll do all that work? You are a kind and generous person. Is there a way that I can label the sheets so that you can include a filter in the macros? I'm already using epoch 1 in the sheet name to identify the first set of sheets. Or does it make more sense to do each epoch as a separate child map?

I took the period out of my macro name, it still didn't run from the LOAD MACROS command so I'm going to try adding my macro to Fcw32.mac.

To LoopySue

I guess I went too minimalist on the historical view. I put the Oceans back.

[Deleted User]Loopysue
    edited September 2020

Yes, to make things easy for me, name sheets like this:

FILTERSET1_OPTION1_SHEET1
    FILTERSET1_OPTION1_SHEET2
    FILTERSET1_OPTION2_SHEET1

etc.

Obviously, the names doesn't need to be FILTERSET and OPTION, it can be like this

HISTORICAL_ELVEN ERA_BORDERS
    HISTORICAL_ELEVEN ERA_CITIES
    HISTORICAL_DWARVEN ERA_BORDERS

etc.

The main point is that when a user then clicks for example the Elven Era link, my macro will use a filter to hide all sheets starting with HISTORICAL, and then immediately show all sheets starting with HISTORICAL_ELVEN ERA. So basically, the first part should be a common name used for all sheets taking part in the filtering, the second part a common name for all the sheets that should be shown at the same time, and the last part a standard descriptive name for the sheet.

The hotspot macro will then simply look like this for the Elven Era link

HIDESHTF HISTORICAL_*
    SHOWSHTF HISTORICAL_ELVEN ERA_*

Of course, no sheets which is not part of the filter set should have a name that starts with the same word.

• So then the hotspot macro for the Dwarven Era would be:

1. HIDESHTF HISTORICAL_*
    2. SHOWSHTF HISTORICAL_DWARVEN ERA_*

One more question - The underscores make the macro easier to write?

Nah, it's just a clear marker to me that separates sections. But it doesn't really do anything.

• 9 days later
  • Hide all era sheets

HIDESHTF

ERA_*

SHOWSHTF

then type

ERA _ MAIN _ *

ERA _ KNGSCAL _ *

ERA _ BEL-EANDOL _ *

but don't include spaces - if I type the filter names with no spaces this word processor it comes out like this: eraBEL-EANDOL* as soon as I type the "*" character, the underscores disappear and the text between the underscores is italicized. I'm no good at formatting hypertext so I don't know whats going on.

You can also play around with the CF_ sheets for a political view.

Sheets needed for every view are labeled "CORE_"

I have laid out plans for three more eras. The timeline is Bel_Eandol, Kindom of Scalica, Main, with three more eras between Kingdom and main but I can't draw them until I finish the story in my head.

[Deleted User]LoopysueRalf

Nice progress there. I just love having maps with multiple views like this.

• That is gorgeous work! I love the shape of the landforms at the highest view, and your kingdom map is beautiful.

• 23 days later
  • Its going very slowly. I've made some progress. I had some problems with the different sheets for jungle and farmland, transitioning from era to era (more farms, less forest and jungle). I think I was copying multiple sheets at the same time to the new sheet because the INFO LIST command was listing multiple sheets with identical properties and nodes. So now I'm being more careful to hide sheets I don't want to copy. Also, remembering to place each object on the appropriate sheet before starting another object. It might make more sense to edit the assigned sheet in the drawing tools properties. Ive also found it useful to segregate finished sheets in separate layers, e . g. WATER/RIVERS and FREEZE WATER/RIVERS. I'm also spend way too much time editing nodes.

I took the liberty of borrowing some place names from Pixelkitteh's map of neighboring Ethra. From her map the Ethran people don't seem very warlike so I apologize to her for portraying a fictional alternative.

So I have added numbers to the era names to reduce some of my own confusion and reduce my command line typing. So to see the other eras SHOWSHT CORE HIDESHTF ERA, SHOWSHTF ERA_1. Eras 1, 2 and 3 are finished. There are also many sheets that are blank or that are not assigned to era.

[Deleted User]MonsenMaidhc O Casain