FT: Can't Save CC Export settings in FT

I'm having trouble saving custom CC Export settings in FT. The dialog message is:

"Can't write to 'c:\program files (x86)\profantasy\ft3\\Export\Contours for Temperate Zones.xpt" Please ensure it is a valid file name."

See the oddity? There's an extra backslash after ft3. How to fix??

Thanks!

-- Matt

Comments

• Because Windows security settings don't like files that change things in Program Files folder.

I suggest C:\ft3\ and right click on the executable and run as admini.
  • If FT3 has to be installed to a non-standard installation location and run as Admin just to work properly... that's bad application design. I hope that's not the case and there's some other issue, or a better work-around (like maybe an ini file or registry entry edit?)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I believe its more a case of MS moving the goalposts over the intervening years than bad app design ;)

All you have to do to cure this problem for good is make the appropriate adjustments to your desktop shortcut.

The instructions, for anyone else reading this thread, are (as quoted from Ralf Schemmann's FB post on another similar thread, also on the FB group page):

"Right-click your FT3 desktop shortcut and choose "Properties". On the compatibility tab set it to "Always run as Administrator". That way FT3 should have proper rights to write to the program files folder."
  • Posted By: LoopysueI believe its more a case of MS moving the goalposts over the intervening years than bad app design ;)
    That's the price of developing and maintaining software... but... wow, I just checked. Has it really been three years since an update of FT3? Do I have that right..?

Yikes.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited August 2020
    Posted By: mwsmedia
    Posted By: LoopysueI believe its more a case of MS moving the goalposts over the intervening years than bad app design ;)
    That's the price of developing and maintaining software... but... wow, I just checked. Has it really been three years since an update of FT3? Do I have that right..?

Yikes.
    I am sorry to hear that your experience of FT3 has been less than satisfactory (I am Sue Daniel - who answered this same issue for you in the FB Group page)

If you have anything you would like to discuss about the software or the way the company is managed, please contact Profantasy directly via the Support tab on your account page.
  • It is more to do with MS changing how the operating system security works, and many installer software not changing as well.