Map Size - ReSize

is it possible to resize the over all extent of the map in CC3+ ?
or maybe Copy the section of the map I want to move to a new map with the proper sizing ?
sounds silly I know but it seems to make a real difference on printing

I really like the maps I have made but didn't start them all the same size on the extents. i'm wanting to print them for my players in a note book and the look seems to be more important to me than I first realized.

thanx
Q

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You can resize the map canvas using File -> Resize drawing area.

Another alternative is to create a new map, and then use Draw -> Insert file to insert your old map into the new one. Or you could use the clipboard to just copy all the entities from one map to another
  • edited April 2020
    Thank you for such a quick response. I will try one of the alternative suggestions as soon as possible.
    the Resize Drawing area option was not found under File. new, open, save, save as, auto save, batch conversion, CC2 to CC3 conversion,print, print wizard, and drawing properties. in the drawing properties I have drawtools style - custom palette - setting [map notes - drawing units - project drawing] - default symbol size - text sheet and chamfer lines. I look through Edit, View and the rest and did not find it … will try to do new drawing and use the Draw >Insert file tomorrow.

thanx for your time,
    Q
    Do you have the latest CC3+ update (Update 25, CC3+ 3.94 as of this writing)?
    Resize Drawing Area should appear right below drawing properties in the list. It was added in an update, but that's a year or two back now.
    Hmmm.. Seems like your menu file haven't been updated for some reason.

Try running the CC3menuconfig.exe file found inside your CC3 plus data directory. (Close CC3+ first). It doesn't have any visible output, so it won't appear to actually do anything, but it does it's job silently.

You can also access the command by typing SCALEMAPEXT on the CC3+ command line
  • Thank you
    The command worked great !
    Still not able to get it in the file. Ran CC3menuconfig as admin and no chance to file menu.
    If you want to keep trying to fix the menu, you can try deleting the file @System\online.cfg and then run the cc3menuconfig.exe again. This config file is the one that is used when updating the menu, and should be automatically downloaded fromt he ProFantasy servers when you installed the update. However, if it is outdated in some way, deleting it will cause the utility to fall back to the menu.cfg which was included in the update installer itself.
  • Deleted online.cfg and ran the CC3menuconfig as admin.
    Still no luck.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Can you send in a support request from your registration account? I'll need to dig deeper into what is going wrong there for you.
  • 3 years later
  • When I use the resize drawing area, it deletes the the sea level of my map except a very small section in the lower left area. Anyone know how I can correct that?

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Hi Gulwolf :)

Resize is different to scale because it works by leaving most things as they are but extending the background, map border, screen and any frame the map might have. This is to increase the space available to draw extra bits onto the edges of the map, while scale just makes the whole map bigger, including all the symbols and fills.

If you were trying to get some more space to continue the map beyond the current edges and your 'sea level' was supposed to be stretched like the background was, reverse the resize operation by doing it again but putting the old size back in, then move your sea level to the BACKGROUND layer using Change Properties. (That's the layer, not the sheet. It can stay on whatever sheet it is on.) The Resize operation should then work as before but this time include the sea level information.

JimProflo1
  • Ah ok, that makes more since. I wondered if that was the case.

What I want to do is reduce the scale of the entire map as I made it to big when I try and display it in Fantasy Grounds.

JimP

That's a different thing again.

The size of your map in CC3 doesn't really matter. It's the size you export it as an image.

When you pick Save as... from the File menu the Save as... dialog box has a drop down box where you can pick the kind of file. Pick one of the rectangular section images. JPEG is better for VTT because PNG are a bit large. Once you've picked your Rectangular section JPEG click the Options button. That will bring up this box.

These just happen to be my settings as they are this moment in time. They probably won't be what you need unless there is a huge coincidence. So work out how big you want your exported image (adjusting any of the settings will affect the others accordingly), and ok them. Then export your map. A rectangular section export requires you to click both the opposite corners of the rectangle you want to export.

JimProflo1
  • That is exactly what I needed! Thank you so much!

Loopysue