Migration questions: importing old maps from various sources

Hi y'all,
I have a number of maps created by various means: everything from scans of hand-drawn pencil on paper to Illustrator files.
I also have a bunch of texture files, ranging from photos to rendered 3D files, in various image formats.

I'm wondering what kinds of things can be imported into the various CC3+ programs, and how easy it is to work with imported files.

Can you select a file to be used as a texture?
Can you select a file for a "background" and then add things on top of it?
Can you import an Illustrator file, and then pick a line and do something to make it a road, such that CC3+ later recognizes it as a road?
If you have photos of rocks, for example, can you turn those photos into a symbol set that can then be added to maps?

thanks!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Can you select a file to be used as a texture?
    Yes. CC3+ can use .png image files as textures (or fill styles, as they are known in CC3+). You should be able to convert other image formats to .png in an image editor.
    Can you select a file for a "background" and then add things on top of it?
    Yes. CC3+ has a sheet system (similar to layers in other software). You can easily put an image on a sheet, and keep that in the background.
    Can you import an Illustrator file, and then pick a line and do something to make it a road, such that CC3+ later recognizes it as a road?
    No. CC3+ doesn't support illustrator files
    If you have photos of rocks, for example, can you turn those photos into a symbol set that can then be added to maps?
    Yes. But CC3+ doesn't process the images, so you'll need to make sure they are suitable for symbols (such as having transparent backgrounds). You'll have to do all editing of the actual image in an image editor before using it as a symbol in CC3+.
  • My earliest maps were hundreds of scanned map files to bmp files I imported and turned into maps.
  • edited April 2020
    Can you also use the textures, backgrounds, etc. in the Diorama product?

For example, if I want to re-create the Graceland cemetery wall (it's covered in graffiti), is it possible to take photos of the wall and use those in the Diorama system?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Yes, you can do that too.

There is just one point that hasn't been mentioned yet.

If a texture is to be used to tile an area larger than itself it needs to be made seamless first.
  • Cool beans, I forgot about that. Thanks.