Tome of Ultimate Mapping vs User Manual/Essentials

Greetings everyone!

I am new to mapping with CC3+, having used Fractal Mapper before (vers 6 and 7). I purchased the Tome of Ultimate Mapping, and after looking through it and the CC3+ user manual, I'm left curious if I should skip the user manual and just go with the Tome?

Love this program, and mapping in general, and can't wait to learn more!

Daisho

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited April 2019
    Welcome.

I recommend you start with the User Manual. The Tome do repeat some of the more important things, but generally, it assumes you are already familiar with the user manual.
  • Thank you!

Now to read (a lot!), and practice!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited April 2019
    Posted By: DaishoChikaraNow to read (a lot!), and practice!
    Sounds like a good way to get started. Especially in combination with each other :)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hello Daisho :)

Welcome to the forum :D

I agree with Monsen - the user manual is the best way to start. It covers the basics so you get a good foundation.
  • Howdy and welcome to the forums !
  • 11 months later
  • This is from the Tome of Ultimate Mapping:
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Difficulty level

This tome is written with an intermediate CC3+ user in mind. It assumes a basic familiarity with the
    CC3+ manual, although some of the important topics from the manual are repeated in this book.
    You will find the CC3+ section of the book, particularly the beginning of this section tends to be a
    detailed description of each step in the tutorial, both to refresh the memory of experienced users,
    and to serve as an introduction to the concepts for beginners. As you progress through the book
    you will find the tutorials expect you to know how to perform the basic tasks in CC3+. New
    concepts, more difficult and intricate tasks will still be explained in detail.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The key sentence:
    " It assumes a basic familiarity with the CC3+ manual, although some of the important topics from the manual are repeated in this book."
  • DaltonSpenceDaltonSpence Mapmaker
    edited April 2020
    I realize I may be heading into dead-horse territory but I'm becoming increasingly annoyed that the internal help of CC3+ is so out-of-date that going to the Tome or one of the Essentials has become pretty much mandatory if I want current information about the program. Some of the dialogs shown in the internal help go all the way back to CC2 and many of the internal links are broken. I'm not asking that all the current external documents be included in a new help file but one that at least linked to those files in the Documents folder would be nice. (It could make the help system a bit more interactive at least.)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I admit to never once having used the help button in CC3, having found anything I needed for basic mapping in the manual and through the various videos I've watched. I do also have the Tome, but I've used that to do some pretty complicated stuff that really doesn't belong in a basic manual, like creating fully functioning new building symbols similar to the ones you get with CD3.

There have been a lot of developments relatively fast over the last couple of years. Maybe its just that because not many people actually use it the interactive help has kind of slid back on the priority list?
  • I still use the internal help for things I have forgotten. But I also use the Tome.
  • I tend to use the internal help [Freudian slip - accidentally just typed "infernal"...] only for specific keyword topics, so I've just used the "Index" or "Search" facilities. I've not tried reading segments of it beyond my immediate requirements though, and can't recall coming across any broken links as such (which is likely why I haven't found any).