Corgin village - October challenge

MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
So, for the October challenge, I decided to do the village of Corgin from Malajuri. It is located up in the hills, so I imagined it as a village hugging the steep hillsides, taking advantage of whatever little space they've got. Hope you enjoy it, I am reasonably happy with how it turned out.

I'll also be using this map in my own world for my own campaign.

Click the image for high resolution version

[Image_11616]

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Don't you dare ever say that you are no artist again!

Cliffs, parallel cart tracks - that's far better than I could do :)
  • Wow, wow, wow - we need more Monsen maps. These are Remy-arkable
  • Seriously? You want ME to make YOUR maps? Huh....i think i'm getting scammed. This is really great! I love it. The cliff illusion is spot on.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited October 2018
    I am quite pleased with how this turned out. From a visual point of view, I believe this is my best work to date. But it took me a lot of hours to get to this point, for me, this is anything but a quick map. It is way more time than I can normally afford to spend on a single map, especially a small village map.

What pleases me most with this map is that I managed to make it look very similar to my original mental concept. That is often my greatest problem, I have a good visual idea, but I struggle to get it into bits and bytes properly. Most of my maps isn't even close to the level of this one.
    Posted By: LoopysueCliffs, parallel cart tracks - that's far better than I could do :)
    Based on your previous work, I can't really say I believe that statement. Besides, you are one of the people that makes the artwork that actually allows me to make a map like this in the first place. Give me CC3+ and lots of artwork, and I can sometimes build a map like this from those pieces. Give me Gimp and Blender and all of those tools, and what comes out looks like the drawings of a 2 year old.
    As for the cliffs, they're just a standard SS2 fill combined with the techniques from Shessar's cliffs. Parallel tracks are easily made with CC3+'s OFFSET1 command.
  • Cool map! I like the idea of this village on a way which climbs the cliffs. I would love to see some kind of shortcut (a ladder, tunnel or whatsever), because if one of my PCs would come there, he would ask the the DM for such things.
    From my side the map is a clear ‚WRTD‘! (wanna role the dice)
    edited October 2018
    Posted By: JensenI would love to see some kind of shortcut (a ladder, tunnel or whatsever)
    I was originally considering it. But I decided against it because distances are really not that great, and also because if you wish to transport goods along it (which is really the only real need for such a thing), it would have to be really sturdy, so I figured it wouldn't be that reasonable for such a tiny village to build and maintain something like it. After all, the cliff sides are steep, and even if it is longer, it is far easier to transport goods along the much less sloping path rather than almost straight up. Some kind of winch or crane may have been appropriate if the amount of goods were larger, but again, this is just a small village, and there is a perfectly serviceable path.

Of course, as this map will be added to the community atlas, you can just download the .fcw and add whatever you want yourself. Of course, you can also just claim there is a secret tunnel through the mountainside going from the basement of any of the houses and exiting in another. The cliffside is perfectly fine for tunneling, perhaps there even used to be a natural cave in there.
  • The house-to-house tunnel is great! But everything I wanted to say is, that the map got me and makes me to think what one of my Characters could explore there. For me this is the most important criteria for a map. Sometimes my imaginations start because of the map-appearance, sometimes because of the names. Anyhow, I like it!
  • This is one of the most unique and creative village concepts that I've seen and it is beautifully done. Wonderful, wonderful map!
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited October 2018
    Posted By: LoopysueCliffs, parallel cart tracks - that's far better than I could do :)
    Remy responded...
    Based on your previous work, I can't really say I believe that statement. Besides, you are one of the people that makes the artwork that actually allows me to make a map like this in the first place. Give me CC3+ and lots of artwork, and I can sometimes build a map like this from those pieces. Give me Gimp and Blender and all of those tools, and what comes out looks like the drawings of a 2 year old.
    As for the cliffs, they're just a standard SS2 fill combined with the techniques from Shessar's cliffs. Parallel tracks are easily made with CC3+'s OFFSET1 command.

Well, heck, Remy! Where do you think I get inspired to make more art, but by looking at all the lovely maps that other people make and getting ideas from them (also by reading all the comments about how we could do with more of 'this' or 'that'). And now I can include 2 of yours in my memory stack of interesting and lovely things to think about when inventing new stuff. (I haven't forgotten the rather excellent map you did for Shessar's competition the other year ;) )
    Posted By: LoopysueI haven't forgotten the rather excellent map you did for Shessar's competition the other year ;)
    I've ensured that that one never will be forgotten. It servers as an excellent tutorial map in the tome :)
  • Posted By: QuentenWow, wow, wow - we need more Monsen maps. These are Remy-arkable
    Yes indeed.