D&D 5th edition - Lost Mine of Phandelver battlemaps

2»

Comments

• 1 month later
  • Hey, Im having trouble downloading these maps and man i can really use them. Any suggestions?
  • 5 months later
  • Did Mappy ever finish the whole adventure?
  • edited August 2015
    Posted By: RMcDDid Mappy ever finish the whole adventure?
    Gday RMcD. We are finally about to start that adventure soonish. The only other map I have made so far was the final one in the adventure; Wave Echo Cave. It's a pretty big map and shrinking it down to fit on this post make's it look pretty rough, so here is the PDF. There are a few other locations still to do, but it will be upto the players as to where they want to go and I'll wait until I have more of an inkling what they want to do so I don't make a bunch of maps we don't end up using. I've included the FCW. I made this one with CC3, so if I open it with CC3+ (I've only got CC3+ on my PC now) I get lots of red X's as will most people I guess, so it may not be a lot of help, but It's attached below the picture anyways.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Wow! Beautiful work. I especially like how you did the hallway that goes under the... is that a forge, in the center?

Top notch stuff!
    ~Dogtag
  • Posted By: DogtagWow! Beautiful work. I especially like how you did the hallway that goes under the... is that a forge, in the center?

Top notch stuff!
    ~Dogtag
    Gday Dogtag. Yep, it's a forge and one I cannot take any credit for. Lacking enough creative genius to make my own, I took a photo of the forge from the map in the official adventure, cropped and filtered in photoshop then made it a symbol with CC3 :)

It was a big map this one, so could not include all the little details and symbols I would have liked to chuck in otherwise I would have been working on it flat out for 5 months I reckon.
  • Great maps! Keep them comming!
  • 10 months later
  • Do you have .PNG or .JPG versions of your maps?

Very cool By the way!!!
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited June 2016
    These are absolutely gorgeous :)

So much detail, and so much to look at. A map should always have something to absorb the eye, no matter how simple. I am sure the people who use them will appreciate your very hard work.
  • 1 year later
  • Sorry to necro such an old thread here, however I'm a new user who has the product for a while but just now learning to use it. I've tried opening the first map in this thread I see a bunch of red Xs. A little searching showed this is a missing object reference. I have CC3 (not + yet), and I believe I have installed everything in the default folders. I have symbol sets 1 and 2 (v3) installed. When I did the "list" command on the first be tree in the lower left corner, I got the following in Name - "CA50 Tree B 1" with no path.

What else is needed to make use of these maps? I love the look, and would love to play around with them some. I feel like I'm just missing something simple here. Thanks for any help!

Grey
  • CA50 is an annual and i think its February ’11 called "Dungeon symbols".

https://www.profantasy.com/annual/2011/february11.html
  • Posted By: Mappy
    Posted By: RMcDDid Mappy ever finish the whole adventure?
    Gday RMcD. We are finally about to start that adventure soonish. The only other map I have made so far was the final one in the adventure; Wave Echo Cave. It's a pretty big map and shrinking it down to fit on this post make's it look pretty rough, sohere is the PDF. There are a few other locations still to do, but it will be upto the players as to where they want to go and I'll wait until I have more of an inkling what they want to do so I don't make a bunch of maps we don't end up using. I've included the FCW. I made this one with CC3, so if I open it with CC3+ (I've only got CC3+ on my PC now) I get lots of red X's as will most people I guess, so it may not be a lot of help, but It's attached below the picture anyways.
      Wave Echo Cave.FCW
      I love your maps. They all look really good. I have a question though. How did you do your walls for Wave Echo Cave. I noticed that your wall section is one large piece on the sheet. How did you get that effect? Did you use the method in the Tome? Did you use the walls mask tool or did you do something else? Really curious about that and I think a few others might be also.
    • LOL I didn't realize how old this thread was. I would still love to know how he did those walls though if someone knows. :)
    • Josh.P.Josh.P. Traveler
      I suspect they are manually drawn shapes not actual walls?
    • Hey guys. Long time no log in :)

Gosh that first map is 3 1/2 years old. Time sure does fly. I still lurk around here sometimes but don't really have any time for mapping these days which is a shame. Life gets in the way, busy doing other stuff. Still playing D&D though which is awesome, I just don't have the time to make the maps.

Will try to explain what I did for the walls in Wave Echo Cave. But struggling to remember some of the terminology. Yes, the wall would just be one big section made with the line tool and fractilisation? (to make the jagged edges) then select all those lines and turn them into one multipoly.

Check the sheet effects, texturise was one of my favourites to make the surface look rough, then would have been a couple of glows for the black edging and white inner edging.

I think I would have learned that from the Tome or from Joachim de Ravenbel's great chapel tutorials : https://jdr68.jimdo.com/tutoriels-tutorials/cartographie-mapping/chapelle-chapel/

Hope that helped and thanks for bumping the thread, was nice to see these again :)

Cheers
      Mike
    • 10 days later
    • I'm just getting started finally after 5 years to learn CC3+ (yes, I know CC3+ hasn't been out that long, but I've owned CC3 before that and never learned to use it).

So, on to my question. The very first map "Goblin Ambush.FCW" when loaded, has all those silly red x's.

Is there a thread here that points me towards how to resolve those? (In the meantime, I right-clicked and saved the image).

I thought this might be a good motivation to drive my knowledge further (I already own ToUM, but I'm still working through the user manual, I'm currently on symbols).

Dave
    • Ok, I managed to use the list command on one of the red x's, and found the filename, Meadow_bigd-a, I didn't find it in my CC3Plus directory, so now I'm downloading the csuac to see if it's in there.

Dave
    • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
      That map uses the first version of the CSUAC, which isn't available any more, so it will be difficult getting that map to work properly, at least not without doing some manual replacing of those symbols with their newer equivalents. (Most of those symbols are most probably still in the current version, but paths will be different)
    • Thanks @Monsen,

After installing CSUAC2 I found the file (but has a _HI and _LO version). I think figuring this stuff out can only help me as I learn this software.

Dave
    • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
      Posted By: BoomerET(but has a _HI and _LO version)
      Most artwork for CC3+ comes with the art in four different resolutions (VH, HI, LO, VL). CC3+ uses the appropriate one depending on your zoom level, to improve performance when working with a map. If the symbol is too small on the screen to see all the details of a high quality version, CC3+ saves time by rendering the low quality one instead. Saves a bit of time for every symbol rendered, which really builds up when you have lot of symbols on screen.