Feedback Wanted: Lake Village

Hey there!

Got my hands on CC3+ a few days ago, and although I was scared of the steep learning curve I had heard about I was absolutely thrilled when I got to use the tool - it's awesome!
I started off by mapping out one of the first places of my D&D campaign; the village of Plissken (ruled by a kind and just Medusa).
You can find the full-size map here: https://i.imgur.com/iqz62UI.jpg

Generally, I'm looking for all kinds of feedback, tips and tricks you think would be helpful.
Thanks for taking your time!

Comments

• Wow! You just bought the software a couple of days ago?!? For a first map, that is absolutely beautiful!!! I wish I had done so well with my first map!

I do have a few very minor suggestions if you don't mind.

First and foremost, I hope you know that you can upload your maps directly to this forum. That's what the attachments bar down below is for. :) Of course, there is a size limit, but if you save your maps in jpeg or bmp format, size shouldn't be a problem.

But as for the map itself, I only have three minute suggestions.

For your Title, and for the compass - Both are light colors on top of light colored mountains. This can make them hard to read, especially for someone's vision that isn't perfect! :) If you were to add a bit of a glow, in a different color other than the white, it would make the title and the compass stand out just a bit more, and make it more visible. (2 suggestions wrapped into 1)

The next is more of a question. Does the cave lead to the outside world? If that's your entrance and exit, you might want to label it as such, so people can see how to get to this wonderful little village. If not, then I didn't see anyway to get there!

Overall though... I would say you have remarkable insight! It is an absolutely beautiful first map, and I would love to see it displayed here so that others could enjoy it!
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Excellent first map, Amadeus.

You certainly seem to have got the hang of it very quickly. I can see we are going to have to watch out for you in the future :P
  • Thanks for the kind words! I really feel like the tool does a lot for me, escpecially after I wrapped my head around sheets and creating custom ones to layer the map.
    @LadieStorm: You're definately right that it blends into the mountains! I didn't think of using effects, that's something I have to look into. I've seen so many beautiful maps here using effects to greatly enhance the look.
    The cave is indeed the entrance, this is a sort-of Shangri-la place so it's meant to be very secluded. I'll go ahead and label that so it's clear!
  • First map?? Well done and welcome to the forums!
  • That is a truly amazing map! Even more so for your being so new to the software. I would go so far to say that you are already as good as many who have been creating maps for years. I'm anxiously looking forward to what you do next.
  • Definately impressive, more so considering made after just a few days.

My maps always seem to have some issue with the right visual scale between moutnain/forest/waterway/towns after a year of fiddling and you seem to have gotten it pretty spot on right out of the gate.

Besides the comment about text readability that has been pointed out, I do find myself wanting to see a little something more in the lake to break up all the flat blue and to maybe blend the whirpool into it a little more.
  • Welcome to the forums! What a way to introduce yourself. Beautiful!!!
  • Perhaps use smoothing on the lake border which seems very sharp at present. But what a great map!
  • Thanks again for the kind words! Getting me so motivated to continue :)
    @Loremaster_D: Agreed! It's an awful lot of blue with not a lot happening. Does anyone have ideas or tricks on what symbols/effects to add to a large body of water to make it more interesting?
    @Quenten: Good thought! I just learned that you apply effects to each sheet separately, so I went ahead and added some blending and bluring to the coastline. Thanks!
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    You could add a contour to the water - to make it look deeper and darker in the middle?

I haven't used Schley for some considerable time, but I think there is a tool for drawing water contours :)
  • @Loopysue: Excellent, did just that!

Finished some adjustments from the feedback. Also realized I could keep going forever - there always seems to be something to improve upon each pass!
    Posting the "final" (time to move on to the outside world!) version, a big thanks again for the time to give feedback, learned a lot from fiddling with the tool some more.

Attaching the map, full-size version can be found here: https://i.imgur.com/m66Vr1t.jpg
  • I like what you did to the lake. But then, I liked it before as well.

I really am in awe that you created this on your first map. It is a great concept, and beautifully executed.

If I were to change anything, it would be to gradually scale up symbols as you move towards the front, in order to provide a bit more perspective. It's not needed. I love it as it is, but it's something I always consider in my maps.

Can't wait to see what you do next.
  • You got it, Amadeus.

If you can do this with what you've learned in such a short space of time, I really look forward to seeing what you do in the future... Fantastic job!

DMG
  • If I can offer any advice... make all your text stand out with a stronger glow, dropshadow, colour, or a mixture of all three. Experiment and see what you get

DMG