FR Moutain Macro

Hi,

Thanks to Simon Rogers's help on my forest macro, I managed to produce one to draw moutains like in the FR 2009 Annual Style.
Here's an example of what it does :

JdR

Comments

• Do you draw on the map and it fills in the squiggly lines when you are done? It sounds similar to my idea for drawing mountain chains in this thread:

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=918&page=1#Item_11

The only difference is I'd like to be able to draw a series of lines before running the populate with mountains macro.
  • edited April 2009
    I'm not sure I understand you.

What I do is trace some smooth lines as spines of moutains.
    The macro then replaces said line with fractal ones and draws the sides lines with control on spacing, steep side length, smooth side length, color, line width. It does not place symbols.
    I'm not at home now but if you want I can post the macro code later today (here it's 9 am)
    What I didn't manage yet is making the fractal spine as a single entity. LINES TO PATH is alas not macro-able.

JdR
  • >I'm not a home now but if you want and can post the macro code later today

That would be great. I don't know the macro language yet, but this would be a good opportunity for me to learn it, as I want something similar to what you have created, but instead of drawing wiggly lines, it would place random symbols on the lines that are drawn by the user.
  • Here you are.
    Just rename mtns.txt in mtns.mac
    The forum does not accept .mac files...

Good luck.

JdR
  • I think here is what you want.

Symbols Mtns 01 -> 09, Mtns Small 01->08 and Mtns Large 01->03 must be in the Symbol Manager (I believe those are default CC3 symbols so everyone should have them).
    Best way to put them there is to place each one on your map, then erase them.

You will notice that I used a SINE function to simulate random symbol choosing.
    Didn't manage to find a way to generate random number in a macro, quite intersted in a better method !

The process is as follow,
    1) rename file as mtsy.mac and put it in your CC3 folder,
    2) open CC3 and load/create new map,
    3) Put symbols in the symbol manager as above,
    4) load the macro with LOADMAC mtsy.mac,
    5) draw a smooth path (SPLINE)
    6) type MTSY and hit ENTER

Feel free to edit as you like, especially default parameters to suit your scale/like.

JdR
  • edited April 2009
    Ha ! There is a RANDOM function. It just doesn't appear in the HELP and the TOME either ! (otherwise I baddly failed my perception check)

You won't see a big difference in the effect, but following code is neater...

You're welcome, Davaris, glad to help.

JdR

P.S. The color parameter has no influence on standard symbols. However, if what you get doesn't suit you, it's easier to erase all the new symbols selcting by color.
    UNDO after macro completion will only unerase the initial spline.
  • Thanks again. I'll have time to try these out today. :)
  • Ha ! I did fail my perception check after all...

RANDOM IS in the TOME...(page 141)

Sorry, PF.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    You really are on a roll, Joachim, excellent work.
  • 4 years later
  • Any chance of emailing both .mac files. I too like the idea of a single spine being converted either into fractal sidelines, or even symbols.
    My email is quenten2911@gmail.com
  • Posted By: qwalkerAny chance of emailing both .mac files
    All the mac files are downloadable from above qwalker. The forum just doesn't accept files with the .mac extension that has other uses (picture format for example). The files CC3 uses however just text files so posting them as .txt doesn't corrupt the data.
    You can just click on any attached file above, save to the the CC3 main folder of your computer and rename the file by erasing the txt extension and changing it to mac.

Or you can download the zip below containing both files as .mac.

Note that there is a much better version of the symbol moutain macro in the Cartographer's Annual #33 (2009), with a macro writing guide. You can also find more on macros here .

Hope it helps.
  • I look forward to learning more on macros. Seems a very esoteric art.
  • Posted By: qwalkerThanks
    You're welcome.
    Posted By: qwalkerSeems a very esoteric art.
    But very gratifying ;)
  • JDR you definitely are the master of Macro's in these forums.

Having struggled with the issue of cliffs especially on City maps I see a potential for using this macro to do those too. The side lines would only have to be on one side and I do not know if there is a way to also project a fill of some sort along the same side to complete the look.

I would like your opinion and expertise to see if this idea is viable.

Thanks in advance!
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited April 2014
    Perhaps the ESC command might be helpful, ADR?
  • Posted By: ADRJDR you definitely are the master of Macro's in these forums.
    As a matter of fact since I delved in XPs I'm a bit removed from macros, not that I sometimes revert to them when I have a single use need of a automatic command.
    I'll try to look at it when I have some free time in a couple of weeks.
    Posted By: jslaytonPerhaps the ESC command might be helpful, JDR?
    The ESC command would sure be handy, with a fractalization of the lines perhaps...
    Posted By: jslaytonThe side lines would only have to be on one side
    Well, one solution would be to erase the lines one the wrong side ;)
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    My last comment was supposed to be addressed "ADR" rather than "JDR". I went back and edited it to cause a different kind of confusion.
  • I have used mtns.mac as a cliff tool, as seen in this map - a little more work to do re effects, but a really useful macro, not just for mountains. I have added it to FCW32.mac, and so far, no problems. Thanks so much, Joachim.
  • Posted By: Joachim de Ravenbel
    Posted By: jslaytonPerhaps the ESC command might be helpful, ADR?
    The ESC command would sure be handy, with a fractalization of the lines perhaps...
    Thanks for the suggestion. Only issue I see is to create a more realistic looking result the ESC command would need to be able to randomize a series of symbols in its placement.

Another thought I had is that if the macro were modified to draw 2 fractialized lines on the same side, one say grey with a bigger thickness followed by a thin black line centred on the gray line that the result might be closer to what I am picturing. Some experimentation would be required to see if this result is a viable solution. The idea would be to make sure the gray lines overlap to create what appears to be a continuous polygon type shape.
  • edited April 2014
    Posted By: ADRAnother thought I had is that if the macro were modified to draw 2 fractialized lines on the same side, one say grey with a bigger thickness followed by a thin black line centred on the gray line that the result might be closer to what I am picturing. Some experimentation would be required to see if this result is a viable solution. The idea would be to make sure the gray lines overlap to create what appears to be a continuous polygon type shape.
    One easy way to do that is to copy the lines on another sheet, change the line width and color, and perhaps add a blur or edge fade effect.
    Posted By: qwalkerThanks so much, Joachim.
    You're welcome and I'm quite astonished by the neat use you made of it. Great map!