Community Atlas Project - Download information - Contributions Welcome

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: LoreleiLink to the Community Atlas giving me a Server Error message - anybody else?
    I'll look into it now. I changed some unrelated software on the server, but it seems to have broken something. I'll get it back up as quick as possible.
    The atlas is now back up and running. Turned out the software I uninstalled decided to take away the installed database driver. The site doesn't really use a database much (only for statistics logging), but it still expected the library with the db driver to be present, so without it, bad things happened.
  • edited April 2017
    cool, thanks....i'm perusing through the maps looking for some inspiration for my next contribution :)
  • I would like to sign up for Dworn on Berenur.

@Lorelei: There are still elvish like rain forest settlements in the north of Berenur that wait to be mapped;-)
  • And plenty of ruins in the Forlorn Archipelago !
    Posted By: HadrianVII would like to sign up for Dworn on Berenur.
    Great. The area has been reserved for you.
  • Can you also sign me up for another randomly selected region on Berenur?
    Well, you are already doing Vyrn, so how about the larger Vyrn environs?
  • I decided to to one overland map on each Continent. Therefore: Can I have Kraken Island on Forlorn Archimpelago, Maelstrom Bay on Malajuri, Paihana on Nga-Whenuatoto, Demosthenes Swamp on Artemisia and the Misty Lake on Alarius?
    Great. They're all reserved for you.
  • I think i'd like to try mapping out the Shifting Sands region in Shessar's beautiful continent of Alarius. I'm thinking of using the Scorching Sun Annual :)
  • When I finish Stromphe, I would like to reserve the Inn and Lighthouse in Helinesa, and of course the Monastery - alol 2 above ground levels and the 3 below ground levels, if that is OK.
    Posted By: LoreleiI think i'd like to try mapping out the Shifting Sands region in Shessar's beautiful continent of Alarius. I'm thinking of using the Scorching Sun Annual :)
    Great. I've reserved it for you. Always looking forward to see the annuals in action.
  • This sounds really cool to be a part of. I will have to read up in detail this weekend.
  • Hi Monsen, I have communicated with JimP, and he is happy for me to do Justice Island. Could you please reserve it for me?
    edited April 2017
    Posted By: DigiartstThis sounds really cool to be a part of. I will have to read up in detail this weekend.
    You do that. We'd love to have more mappers on board.
    Posted By: QuentenCould you please reserve it for me?
    Done.
  • Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: DigiartstThis sounds really cool to be a part of. I will have to read up in detail this weekend.
    YES! What Remy said ^^ I love what you are doing with Tegal Manor!!! I envy you taking on a map of such magnitude! I've always loved that map. It's insane. I'm looking forward to it....but more importantly to your possible contribution to our Community Atlas :)
  • Posted By: Lorelei
    Posted By: Monsen
    YES! What Remy said ^^ I love what you are doing with Tegal Manor!!! I envy you taking on a map of such magnitude! I've always loved that map. It's insane. I'm looking forward to it....but more importantly to your possible contribution to our Community Atlas :)
    The more the merrier! :-)
  • HadrianVIHadrianVI Surveyor
    edited April 2017
    We gladly welcome new mappers. I'm looking forward to your contributions:)
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited April 2017
    I am getting a few more page hits from the Mappers web site Monsen has created. How many maps are there today ?

Thanks !

And 190 page views on the Dragon's Foot forums for the Interactive Atlas.

I am now at 11 looks at my Crestar site by clicking on my mapper link at the Atlas site.
    Posted By: JimPHow many maps are there today ?
    We're up to 35 now.
    edited April 2017
    I've noticed that many mappers ask each other for permissions before taking on a map. While nothing wrong with this, and also a good way of getting the original mapper's view on the area you wish to map, I would just want to clarify things a bit.

- The intention behind this project is that it is a community project, and once a map is available in the atlas, anyone can make a detail map (including dungeon/city/floorplan/etc) from any area in map, without asking anyone for permission. All areas in the atlas is open for everyone else (Note that this also applies in regards to me, I don't give anyone permission for anything, I only reserve areas as to make sure two mappers doesn't try to map the same area, but I will never say no to a request unless the area is already taken by someone else). The point here is that this is an open project, nobody should control who can make maps where (within the bounds of what logically fits in the atlas based on existing maps there). This is especially important for new contributors who might feel they don't "know" a mapper well enough to dare ask them for permission or similar, we want the threshold for contributing to the atlas to be as low as possible.

- However, if you wish to make a change to an existing map in the atlas (as opposed to just creating a detail map from it), you will need the permission of the person who created that map, since that person owns the copyright to that map. This shouldn't normally be done though, only in very special circumstances, as the way to extend the atlas is to add a new map, not edit an exiting one. So far, this have only happened once.

Also, I will request that everyone remembers to include the information I requested earlier when handing in a map. Map Style and required products is especially important, since it can be very difficult to determine by looking at the map. Having this information makes my job when integrating the map into the atlas much easier.
    • Your Name/nickname: As you would like it to appear publicly in the map infobox. Could be your real name, your forum name, another nickname, etc. (Only important for your first map to the atlas)
    • Contact details: Only if you wish to allow people to contact you about the map, for example for usage requests. This will be embedded in the map, and therefore public, so only include it if you really want this. You can also put the URL of your website here. (Again, only important for your first map submission)
    • Map Description: If you have one. Will be put into a map note (completely optional, if included can be anything from a single paragraph to a multi-page writeup)
    • Styles Used: Which (main) style(s) did you use for this map. A listing of the styles is enough, no detailed description of the usage is required. (Important)
    • Products Required: Which products/symbol sets are required to view this map? (VERY important)
  • Just to reiterate what Monsen said above. Nobody needs my permission to make more maps for the continents that I made. They were made for the express purpose of allowing other mappers to add to them. I will be doing another underground world map for the other continent that I did and then I plan to make a monastery and catacomb map for a location in the mountains that HadrianVI detailed out on that same continent. I am not sure what maps I will be making after that. :-)
  • Real life has become quite full and busy for me lately - two funerals, clearing out two family estates (one of which is a hoarders house), youngest kid's wedding, two kids buying homes, and of course roleplay campaign design - I'm not going to have time for doing any atlas maps for a while. I think once this is all done my life will finally return to its normal serene pace and I'll get back to making maps and things.

For now I would like to remove my reserve on the interiors of Forrestal Manor ruins just in case anyone else would like to do them.

Happy mapping everyone!
This discussion has been closed.