CC3 Needs More Polishing?

I was a CC2 user for a while and finally decided to upgrade to CC3. Well, so far, I can't say that I hate it but I can't say that it's that much greater either and not really worth the extra money. It feels kind of half-finished and needs more polishing. There are three big annoyances that I have:

1. The latest patch was supposed to fix a few bugs but after updating the most annoying one that I've encountered (and claimed to have been fixed in logs) is that text is automatically selected to the correct sheet. After patching to the latest this still does not seems to be working. I almost always have to manually switch to the text sheet.

2. Quite a few program crashing bugs that I still haven't found sources of. Sometimes the program will say that it cannot do something when it should be able to do it.

3. Resources really haven't been finished. This confuses me the most. If you look at the CC2 default terrain selections you have: farm, fens, forest decid, forest pine, marsh, meadow, scrub, and swamp. Why in the world haven't these been upgraded in CC3? In CC3 you get current fill style, desert dark/light, forest back, forest decid, forest mixed, forest pine, mountain dark/light, plains light, scrub def/foreground.

Some of these are OK and are an upgrade from CC2. But where is march, meadow, swamp? Farms? Fens? Why weren't these included? I tried using the old ones and the new ones in the same map but it just doesn't match and looks horrible together. Maybe I just haven't gotten them? Then I think there needs to be an .exe fix. For plains, I don't know what the artist was thinking. It looks like a desert (I just use one of the default contours though).

Hope these concerns aren't pushed aside and seriously looked at...especially #3. Bugs, I can deal with but resources that were previously available not being upgraded in a newer version bugs the heck out of me.

Comments

• The lack of upgrades for the meadow, swamp, farms and fens is annoying. Does anyone have a workaround for this?
  • amdorbitt,

don't know if you're mocking me but if you're serious here's what I did for swamps:

On default (green) land, I made small / medium sized pools within the area that I wanted the swamp. Then in the VEGETATION symbol set, I chose SCRUB1 and just laid it down over the land/pools. Then I laid down some of the Swamp tree symbols.

Looks ok...but I would have liked to see what ProFantasy would have done if they had upgraded CC2 terrain....ALL OF THEM...not just a few.

Sorry, but CC3 is a rushed product.
  • Here is what I've personally found.

Having both CC2, CC2-Pro, Symbol Sets and all that stuff then CC3.

Initally when CC3 came out I could not use it for what I wanted to because of some issues. Now as time has gone by a little and patches have come out it does offer some unique ways of creating maps which I could not do before.

The bit about crashing, I've not experienced since the new patching. Before when I saved real large scale maps it crashed, not so now.
  • Posted By: Plisskenamdorbitt,

don't know if you're mocking me but if you're serious here's what I did for swamps:

On default (green) land, I made small / medium sized pools within the area that I wanted the swamp. Then in the VEGETATION symbol set, I chose SCRUB1 and just laid it down over the land/pools. Then I laid down some of the Swamp tree symbols.

Looks ok...but I would have liked to see what ProFantasy would have done if they had upgraded CC2 terrain....ALL OF THEM...not just a few.

Sorry, but CC3 is a rushed product.
    Trust me, I'm not mocking you. I wanted to put a marsh and swamp on two of my continent maps and couldn't find anything in the CC3 folders that would work. I'll give your suggestion a try and see what happens. If worse comes to worse, I'll see if I can make my own swamp and marsh pngs. :)
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Re the lack of certain terrains - this is not an unreasonable criticism. We'll look into adding these tools into the next update.
  • Just to nudge it a bit, I also asked Linda a while ago if she could get a drawing tool set up for Jungle. There is one for forests, but Jungle seems to be missing.